History of Wormingford
St. Andrew's Church, Wormingford
©Bob Jones contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Wormingford >> Kelly's Directory 1895
Description of Wormingford in 1895.
WORMINGFORD is a parish and village situated on the navigable river Stour and the borders of Suffolk, 3 miles east from Bures station on the Stour Valley branch of the Great Eastern railway, 10 east from Halstead and 6 north-west from Colchester, in the North Eastern division of the county, Lexden hundred, Lexden and Winstree petty sessional division and union, Colchester county court district and in the rural deanery of Dedham, archdeaconry of Colchester and diocese of St. Albans.
The church of St. Andrew is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, south porch and a western tower containing a clock and 3 bells, dated 1591. In the chancel are a piscina and three stained windows, the east window being a memorial to the Rev. George Tufnell, vicar from 1825: the church was thoroughly restored in 1869-70, seated with open oak benches and an organ introduced. The register dates from the year 1557. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £282; net yearly value £194, with residence and 5 acres of glebe, in the gift of the trustees of the late J.J. Tufnell esq. and held since 1891 by the Rev. Louis Arthur Cockerell M.A. of Balliol College, Oxford.
Charities, producing £45, derived in part from a bequest in 1564, by Thomas Love, of Little Horkesley, for the benefit of this and other parishes, are distributed yearly. James Robinson, in 1832, invested in the names of the vicar and churchwardens and the Archdeacon of Colchester, money sufficient to produce £31 10s. yearly, to be applied as follows: £9 to the school, £10 for the purchase of coal to be sold to the parishioners at a reduced price and £11 10s. for blankets and winter clothing, to be distributed at the discretion of the vicar. He also by will dated August 27th, 1832, directed his executors to invest in their names, in Government securities, the sum of £500 and to distribute the interest annually to the deserving poor on St. Thomas' day.
The trustees of the late John Jolliffe Tufnell esq. of Langleys, Great Waltham, who are lords of the manor and Thomas George Hallum esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is light loam and clay; subsoil, loam and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 2,256 acres; rateable value, £2,424; and the population in 1891 was 483.
Parish Clerk, James Clarke.
Post Office (Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O. Essex added). Frederick Death, sub-postmaster.
National School (mixed), built for 100 children; average attendance, 75.
Carriers to Colchester. William Sach, mon. wed. fri. and sat.; Harry Scott, mon. wed. thurs. fri. and sat.
Back to History of Wormingford