History of Woodham Walter
Queen Victoria PH, Woodham Walter.
© Copyright Robert Edwards contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Woodham Water >> Kelly's Directory 1895
Description of Woodham Walter in 1895.
WOODHAM WALTER is a picturesque village and parish, bounded on the north by the river Chelmer, and watered by a rivulet, 4 miles west from West Maldon station, on the Great Eastern railway, and 9 east from Chelmsford, in the South Eastern division of the county, union and county court district of Maldon, Dengie hundred and petty sessional division, and in the rural deanery of Maldon, archdeaconry of Essex and diocese of St. Albans.
The church of St. Michael was built in 1562 under a licence obtained from Queen Elizabeth, by Thomas, Earl of Essex, and consecrated April 3rd, 1564: it is a brick edifice in the Perpendicular style and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, north porch and a wooden belfry, with spire, containing 3 bells: the east window is stained: the church was restored at various dates by the present rector and reseated in 1867, at a cost of about £325: the nave, belfry and some of the windows were restored by general subscription in 1878: there are about 310 sittings. The register dates from the year, burials, 1558; baptisms, 1568; marriages, 1681.
The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £374; net yearly value £302, with residence, and 45 acres of glebe, in the gift of Mrs. Walter Green and held since 1875 by the Rev. Robert Henry Falkner M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin.
Captain Bird, of Yarmouth, is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are the trustees of the late Jeremiah Pledger esq. E. Gibson esq. and Charles Ward esq.
The soil is mixed; subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, beans, barley and turnips. The area is 2,462 acres of land and 15 water; rateable value, 2,470; the population in 1891 was 491.
Parish Clerk, John Green. Post Office.-Miss Agnes Gozzett, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Maldon at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 4.40 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Maldon.
School (mixed), built in 1871, for 120 children, with an average attendance of 56; Mrs. N. Sole, mistress.
Back to History of Woodham Walter