History of Woodham Mortimer
St Margaret's Church, Woodham Mortimer.
© Copyright Robin Webster contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Woodham Mortimer >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
WOODHAM MORTIMER, or Little Woodham, is a small parish of scattered houses from 2 to 3 miles West South West of Maldon, containing 308 inhabitants, and 1380A.3R.29P. of land, inc1uding 78A. of wood and 25A. of roads and waste.
Siward held this parish in the Confessor's reign, and at the Conquest it belonged to Ralph Peverell. Henry II. gave it to Robert de Mortimer, from whose family it passed to the Talbots, Lucys, Tyrells, Careys, and Weggs.
The Rev. J.T. Round, now owns 306 acres, and is lord of the manor of Woodham Mortimer Place, which has its name from a neat and pleasant mansion, now the residence of J.O. Parker, Esq., who owns about 255 acres of land here.
The other principal proprietors are the Cooper' Company, 306A.; the Exors, of J.Grimwood, 176A.; and Jeremiah Pledger, 93A.
The Hall, a large Elizabethan mansion, now occupied by a farmer, is said to have been built by Cranmer Harris, of whose family it was purchased in 1683 by Peter Chamberlain. In 1715, it was purchased by William Alexander, wine merchant, who left it to the Wine Coopers' Company, of London, the present owners, who have erected a handsome obelisk in front of the hall, in memory of the donor and his munificent gift. When making some alterations in the hall a few years ago, a place of concealment was found, opening by a trap door, and in it was a small box containing jewels, ladies' gloves, etc. In the box was an inventory of the contents, and of some other articles dashed, pen.
The Church (St.Margaret,) is an ancient structure, with a nave and chancel of one pace, a north transept, and wooden belfry, containing three bells and crowned by a small spire. The transept and porch were added in 1842, when the whole church was completely renovated, and new windows inserted in the perpendicular style. The altar piece is richly carved in the Corinthian order, and in the chancel is piscina. The nave is newly pewed, and has a west gallery and small organ, the latter given by Mr. James Boyer, of the Coopers' Company.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £6.13s.4d; and in 1831 at £368, is in the gift of the Rev. J.T. Round, and incumbency of the Rev. R.P. Morrell, M.A., who has 45A.2R.19P. of glebe, and a good residence, commanding fine views. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £349.10s. per annum.
For a weekly distribution of bread, the poor parishioners have the dividends of £125 three per cent. Reduced Annuities, purchased with £100 left by Viscountess Falkland. For the same purpose they have the dividends of £200 three per cent. Consols, left by Susannah Meard, in 1786.
Back to History of Woodham Mortimer
Are your ancestors from Woodham Mortimer? Why not tell us their story: My Ancestors.