History of Wix
St Mary the Virgin's Church, Wix.
© Copyright Peter Stack contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Wix >> Wix Court Cases
Wix Court Cases
For a full explanation of these court cases and how to further research them, please look at our Essex Court Cases page.
The information is supplied in the following format:
- (d) defendant's name, age and occupation (when given)
- (v) victim's name, age and occupation (when given)
- (w) witness names, age and occupation (when given)
- Place offence committed and places mentioned where the (d), (v) or (w) lived. Some of the defendants may have been from neighbouring parishes not mentioned by name, or itinerant wanderers.
- The court hearing the case.
- The source newspaper or archive reference.
- (d) Mary May
- (v) William Constable aka William Watts
- Essex Assizes
- Ipswich Journal 29 July 1848
- (d) William Winney and James Bird
- (v) Robert Sizer
- Lawford, Wix and Great Oakley
- Essex Assizes
- Ipswich Journal 12 March 1825
- (d) Hannah Southgate higgler
- (v) Thomas Ham blacksmith
- (w) John Southgate, Jane Harvey, Sarah Ham, Mary Ham, Phoebe Head, Sarah Gardner, Charlotte Elvis, Lucy Rowland, Eliza Crisp, John Crampin and Mary Symons
- Wix and Tendring
- Essex Assizes
- Ipswich Journal 10 March 1849
- (d) Daniel Marchant 21 labourer
- (v) Edward Norman
- Wounding a pig
- Calendars of prisoners for Essex Quarter Sessions, Essex Assizes and Special Sessions of Gaol Delivery, 1861 Q/SMc 9, Essex Record Office
- (d) John Smith alias John Sealey 46 watch maker
- (v) William James, William Mills
- Great Oakley and Wix
- Calendars of prisoners for Essex Quarter Sessions, Essex Assizes and Special Sessions of Gaol Delivery, 1863 Q/SMc 9, Essex Record Office
- (d) Henry Osborne alias Witney 50 tinker
- (v) Maurice Constable, George Jonathan Biggs
- Wix, Great Oakley
- Calendars of prisoners for Essex Quarter Sessions, Essex Assizes and Special Sessions of Gaol Delivery, 1870 Q/SMc 10, page 12 Essex Record Office
Back to History of Wix
Find your Ancestors in the Newspapers
Newspaper archives are now a very important source of information for researching your family tree.
Try our example search to help you discover if your ancestors are in the British Newspaper Archive.
Wix - Cary's New and Correct English Atlas, 1798
Wix - First Series Ordnance Survey Map 1805
This work is based on data provided through www.VisionofBritain.org.uk and uses historical material which is copyright of the Great Britain Historical GIS Project and the University of Portsmouth. Licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence BY-SA-4.0
Ancestry.co.uk now has the 1939 Register.
Discover your ancestors at the start of the Second World War. The Register covers England and Wales.
Looking for pictures to add to your family tree album?
Ebay is a good source of old images of Essex towns and villages. If you're looking for pictures to add to your family tree album, then try one of the auctions, or there are several 'Buy It Now' shops offering postcards which have been touched up and improved - so if you're unsure about bidding, try these.
Link below already formatted for Essex and Postcards.