History of Wimbish
All Saints Church, Wimbish.
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Wimbish >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
WIMBISH, a pleasant straggling village, from 3 to 4 miles South East by East of Saffron Walden, has in its parish 983 inhabitants, and 4581 acres of land, including Thunderley hamlet, on the west; Wimbush Green, 1 mile South East of the church, and many scattered farm-houses, etc.
Thunderley was anciently a separate parish, but was consolidated with Wimbish in 1425. The soil is a deep heavy loam, on clay; and there is much fine timber in the hedge rows.
Thomas Selby, Esq., is lord of the principal manor; and John Hudson May, Esq., and several smaller proprietors, have estates in the parish, mostly copyhold, and subject to arbitary fines. The manor of Wimbish Hall was held by Ralpn Baynard, at the Conquest, and afterwards by the Fitzgilbert, Fitzwalter, Wymondsel, Walford, and other families.
The estate or manor of Tiptofts, near Sewer's end, had its name from the ancient family of Tiptoft, and was bequeathed by Lord Mordaunt, in 1571, to King's Hall and Brazennoze College, Oxford, for the endowment of three scholarships.
Broad Oaks estate was purchased in 1741, by Lord Maynard. Coldcotes was long held of the Earls of Oxford, by the Thunderley family, and was purchased in 1652, by Dr. Bromfield, who gave it to the poor of St.Andrews, Holborn, London. An estate called Abbots, belonged to Saffron Walden Abbey, and was granted to Lord Audley by Henry VIII., but has since passed to various families. Of Thunderley church, all traces disappeared many years ago. That manor was long held under the de Veres, by a family surnamed de Tunderley, and afterwards passed to the Wisemans.
Wimbish Church (All Saints,) is an ancient stone structure, except the tower, which having fallen down in 1740, was rebuilt of brick. In the chancel are several memorials of the Wiseman family. The sinecure rectory, valued in K.B. at £12, and in 1831 at £435, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. John Dolignon, M.A., of Hilborough, Norfolk. The united vicarages Wimbish and Thuuderley, valued in K.B. at £8, and in 1831 at £190, are in the patronage of J. Greensall, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. M.W. Foye, M.A., who has a good residence, and 11A.lR.4P. of g1ebe. The tithes were commuted in 1841, the vicarial for £283, and the rectorial for £772 per annum; but of the latter, £204 belongs to J.H. May, Esq., as impropriator of the great tithes of Thunderley.
For schooling six poor children, this parish has £4 yearly from Bernard's Charity.
Back to History of Wimbish
Are your ancestors from Wimbish? Why not tell us their story: My Ancestors.