History of Willingale Spain
St. Andrew's Church, Willingale Spain
©John Winfield contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Willingale Spain >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
WILLINGALE SPAIN, a small scattered village, 5 miles North East by East of Ongar, has in its parish 207 inhabitants, and 1200 acres of land. It adjoins Willingale Doe, and the churches of the two parishes are in one churchyard, like those of a few places in other counties.
R.B. Brocket, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of most of the soil, and resides at the ancient manor-house called SPAIN'S HALL, which belonged at an early period to the Spain family, like those of the same name at Finchingfield and Great Yeldham.
The manor belonged to Edeva, in the Confessor's reign, and to Hervey de Ispania, or Spain, at the Domesday survey. The latter held it under Alan Fergent, by the name of Ulingehala. It afterwards passed to the Vere, Montchensey, Grey, Wiseman, and other families. It was sold by the heiress of the Wiseman family, about 1686, to John Brocket, Esq., from whom it has descended to the present owner. An estate here called Mynchens, has been held by the monastery of Clerkenwell, and the Scroop, Rich, Tomlinson, Lynn, and other families.
The Church (St. Andrew and All Saints,) is a small neat structure, with a wooden belfry and two bells. It has an elegant altar-piece, given by William Brocket, Esq.; and was appropriated to Blackmore Priory, but the rectory was restored to the incumbent in 1389, with the reservation of only 40s. a year to the priory. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £7.13s.4d., and in 1831 at £325, is in the patronage of the Bishop, and incumbency of the Rev. Bernard Scale, M.A., of Braintree, who has 23A.1R.lOP. of glebe, and a lath and plaster Parsonage, occupied by the curate.
Back to History of Willingale Spain