History of Wickham Bishops
St Peter's Church, Wickham Bishops. Now redundant.
© Copyright Glyn Baker contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Wickham Bishops >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
WICKHAM BISHOPS, a pleasant scattered village, On the borders of Tiptree Heath, 3 miles South South East of Witham, and 3½ miles North of Maldon, has in its parish 544 souls, and 1534A,2R.23P. of land, extending westward to the Maldon and Braintree Railway, and the river Blackwater, and crossed by many public roads. Two-thirds of the parish have a light, and the rest a tenacious loamy soil.
The manor, with two woods (80A.) and a great part of the parish, has belonged to the Bishops of London since the Saxon era, and they for a long period resided occasionally at the ancient Hall, which has given place to a modern farm house, which is still enclosed on three sides by a moat.
In 1375, Bishop Courtney obtained a license from Edward III., to impark 300 acres here. The old hall was pulled down many years ago, and the park converted into a farm. P. Wright, Esq., is lessee of the manor, under the Bishop, and part of the parish belongs to W. Grainger, B. and R.W. Dixon, the Rev. T. Leigh, aud a few smaller owners, mostly copyholders, subject to fines equal to 1½ year's rent.
The Church [St Peter's] is a small ancient structure, with a wooden turret, and stands near the river and the railway, more than a mile South West of the village. In one of the windows are the arms of the Bishop of London, in ancient stained glass. The stoup remains in the porch, and the font is of the 15th century. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £12.3s.4d., and in 1831 at £394, is in the patronage of the Bishop of London, and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Leigh, M.A., who has 90A. of glebe, and a large and handsome residence, commanding pleasing views. The tithes were commuted in 1841, for £476 per ann.
The Parish School is supported chiefly by the rector, and here is a Baptist preaching room.
Back to History of Wickham Bishops