History of White Notley
St Etheldreda's Church, White Notley.
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of White Notley >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
NOTLEY (WHITE) is a village and parish on the west side of the small river Brain, or Guith. 3 miles South South East of Braintree, and North West of Witham. It contains 470 souls, and 2255A.lR.27P. of land, crossed by the Braintree and Maldon Railway, now constructing.
It includes Bat Green, and near Leighs Priory it has two farms, called Great and Little Slamsey, formerly called the manor or hamlet of Slamondsey, and forming part of the endowment of Leighs Priory. About 6A. of land belonging to this parish lies at the distance of eight miles, in Langford parish. near Maldon.
J.F. Wright, Esq.. of Kevledon Hatch, is lord of the manor of White Notley Hall, now the pleasant seat of E.F. Brewster, Esq., and formerly occupied by the Whitebread family, who intermarried with the Smiths of Cressing. Jonathan Bullock, Esq., J.J. Tufnell, Esq, and several smaller owners have estates in the parish.
The Church is an ancient Norman structure, which has recently been renovated, and consists of a stone nave, aisles, and chancel, with a wooden belfry, containing three bills, and crowned by spire. It was thoroughly repaired in 1639, by H. Smith, Esq., then impropriator of the rectory, which was given to Thetford Priory by Roger Bigod, in 1103. In the chancel is a piscina, in the highly decorated style of the time of Edward. III., when the church is supposed to have been altered and enlarged.
The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £10, and in 1831 at £195, is in the patronage of the Bishop of London, and incumbency of the Rev. William Alder, M.A., who has a handsome new patronage-house, and 9A.3R.28P. of glebe. Robert Horton and Thomas Burrow, Esq., are improprietors of the great tithes, which have been commuted for £248.13s.6d., and the vicarial for £254 per annum.
For weekly distribution in bread, the poor widows and widowers of this parish have the rents of 2A.3R. of land, and three cottages and gardens, left by Major Whitebread, and now let for £11 per ann. The poor of Cressing and White Notley have, in equal shares, the dividends of £666.13s.4d. three per cent. consuls, left by Jeffrey Grimwood, Esq., of Cressing Temple, in 1840. From this charity each parish has £10 a year.
Back to History of White Notley