History of West Thurrock
St Clement's Church, West Thurrock. Sited next to a factory, the church is now longer used. Film buffs will recognise it as a film location from Four Weddings and a Funeral.
© Copyright Kenneth Yarham contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of West Thurrock >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
WEST THURROCK is a long straggling village, extending more than a mile along the road and the marshes on the north side of the Thames, opposite Greenhithe Pier, and between Grays Thurrock and Purfleet, 16 miles East by South of London, and 9 miles South East of Romford.
Its parish includes Purfleet hamlet, and contains 2863 acres of land, and had 1032 inhabitants in 1841, of whom 328 were in West Thurrock, and 704 in Purfleet; but the latter includes 199 persons in the barracks, and 172 labourers in barns, etc., so that the stationary population of the parish is only about 700 souls.
About 400 of the inhabitants are employed in the extensive lime and chalk pits, worked by W.H. Whitbread, Esq., the lord of the manor, and owner of most of the parish.
W.D. Cooper, Esq., and several smaller owners, have estates in the parish. West Hall, the old manor house, was formerly named Le Vineyard, from vines having been cultivated here in ancient times. It has latterly been called High House, from its situation on the side of a lofty hill, commanding a delightful prospect over the marshes and the river Thames. It is now the residence of Mr. J.E. Joyner.
The Church (St. Clement,) is a very ancient stone building, with a massive tower containing three bells. It stands at the east end of the village, near the river bank, and was formerly appropriated to one of the prebendaries of the collegiate church at Hastings. W.H. Whitbread, Esq.. is now impropriator of the rectory, and patron of the vicarage, valued in K.B. at £15.13s.4d., and in 1831 at £310, and now engaged by the Rev. Frederick Heberden, M.A., of Wilmington, Kent. Here is a neat parsonage and 3A. of glebe, and the vicarial tithes were commuted in 1836 for £313.
Back to History of West Thurrock