History of West Hanningfield
St Mary and St Edward's Church, West Hanningfield.
© Copyright Colin Park contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of West Hanningfield >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
HANNINGFIELD, (WEST) a pleasant village and parish, between two sources of the Sandon brook, 5 miles East of Ingatestone and 6 miles South South East of Chelmsford, has 621 inhabitants, and 2,884 acres of land, including 196A. of wood, and 39A. of waste.
Lord Petre is lord of the manor; but a great part of the soil belongs to Sir W.B. Proctor, E.L. Badeley, Esq., and several smaller proprietors. The parish comprises tbe estates or subordinate manors of Clovilles, Hanningfield Temple, (formerly belonging to the Knight Templars,) Peverals, and Chervilles; and also Bensted Green.
The Church (St. Mary and St. Edward,) is an ancient structure in the perpendicular style, with a singular wooden tower, containing five bells, and crowned by a spire. The nave and chancel have each a south aisle. In the chancel is an altar tomb and an ancient brass, belonging to the Cloville family, formerly seated here.
The Rectory, valued in K.B. at £16, and in 1831 at £934, with that of South Hanningfield annexed to it, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. William Kemble, M.A., who has 25A. of glebe, and a neat modern Rectory House. The tithes of this parish were commuted in 1844 for £778 per annum.
Here is a National School, for which a new building was erected in 1848. Richard Gannon, in 1605, left for the poor of this parish and Rettendon, a cottage, barn, and 19A. of land, at Hockley, now let for £23 a year. One charity is distributed in this parish, in weekly doles of bread, together with a yearly rent charge of 10s. out of Tanfield Tay Farm, left by an unknown donor. In 1635, Lady Caesar gave a yearly rent charge of £5, out of the manor of Fremnalls, at Crow-Heath, to be divided among the poor of the four parishes of East and West Hanningfield, Downham, and Ramsden Crays. The poor widows of this parish have 40s. a year, left by Ann Humphries, out of Helmon's Farm.
Back to History of West Hanningfield