History of West Bergholt
St. Mary's Church, West Bergholt.
©John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
White's Directory of Essex 1848
BERGHOLT (WEST) parish, from 3 to 4 miles West North West of Colchester, on the north side of the vale of the Colne, has most of its houses scattered round a large heath or common, of 276 acres; but all the rest of the parish is enclosed and well cultivated. It contains 822 inhabitants, and 2211 acres of land, skirted on three sides by the Colne and two of its tributary streams, and belonging at the Domesday survey to Roger Pictavensis, and Richard, son of Earl Gilbert.
It is in two manors, viz., Bergholt Sackville, now belonging to John Round, Esq., and Cook's Hall, held by Mrs. Tyrrell, of Polstead, Suffolk; but a great part of the soil belongs to W.S. Sadler, T. Daniell, R. and D. Bradbrook, and several smaller free and copyholders. Cook's Hall was long a seat of the Cook, Montgomery, Abell, and other families, but is now a farm house.
The noble family of Sackville held the other manor from the time of Henry I. till 1559. It afterwards passed to the Garroway, Dister, Denham, Grimston, and other families. In tile neighbourhood is a circular entrenchment, which Stokeley regards as the site of the palace of Cunobeline, the British King.
The Church (St. Mary,) has a nave, chancel, and south aisle, supported by massive Norman pillars. At the west end is a wooden turret, crowned by a shingled spire. A chantry was founded here in 1331 by J. de Bures. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £10, and in 1831 at £463, is in the gift of W. F. Hobbs, Esq., of Boxted, and incumbency of the Rev. Frederick Sims, M.A., who has a good residence, commanding a fine view of the vale, which is here finely diversified with wood and water. The tithes were commuted in 1842 for about £600 per anuum, and the glebe is 38A.2R.13P.
In the parish is a Wesleyan and also a Primitive Methodist chapel. The poor parishoners have a share of Love's Charity, and the parish clerk has 3r. of land, given by an unknown donor.
Back to History of West Bergholt