History of Wendens Ambo
St Mary's Church, Wendens Ambo.
© copyright Keith Evans contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Wendens Ambo >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
WENDENS-AMBO is a village and parish 2 miles South West of Saffron Walden, and has a station on the North-Eastern Railway.
It contains 347 inhabitants and 1416 acres of land, formerly in two parishes called Great and Little Wenden, which were consolidated by Bishop Sheldon, in 1662, at the request of the inhabitants, and with the consent of the Earl of Suffolk, under the name of Wendens-Ambo, i.e. Both Wendens.
Lord Braybroke is lord of the manor of Great Wenden, which was held by R. Gernon at Domesday Survey, and afterwards by the Baliol, Berkeley, Cavendish, and other families. The Marquis of Bristol is lord of the manor of Little Wenden, which was held by William de Warren at the Survey, and afterwards by the Fitzralph, Waldegrave, and other noble families. Mr. S. Robinson, and several smaller owners have estates in the parish, mostly copyhold, subject to arbitrary fines.
Little Wenden church went to ruins many years ago, and no traces of it are now extant.
Great Wenden Church (Virgin Mary,) is an ancient structure, with a low tower and four bells. The nave and chancel are separated by a wooden screen, and the nave and aisles by heavy pillars, supporting Gothic arches. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £17, and in 1831 at £165, with the rectory of Little Wenden annexed to it, is in the patronage of the Marquis of Bristol, and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Ryder, M.A., of Oak1ey, Wiltshire.
The Parsonage is an old lath and plaster house, and the glebe is 117A.2R.18P., mostly allotted in lieu of tithes, at the enclosure, when 91A.3R. 23P., was allotted in lien of the great tithes of Great Wenden, of which Lord Braybroke is impropriator.
The parish Sunday School was built in 1838, at the cost of £100. The poor parishioners have £5.4s. yearly from Martin's Charity, and a rent-charge of 3s.4d., left by one Woodcock, out of Clanver-end farm.
Back to History of Wendens Ambo