History of Wakes Colne
All Saints Church, Wakes Colne.
© Copyright Keith Beckett contributor to Panoramio and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Wakes Colne >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
COLNE (WAKES) is a scattered village on the north side of the river Colne, at the point where the Chappel Viaduct on the Colchester and Stour Valley Railway, crosses the vale, 8 miles West North West of Colchester, and 5 miles East South East of Halstead; to which latter town a branch railway is now cutting.
The parish of Wakes Colne has 444 inhabitants, and 1837 acres of land, rising boldly from the river, and including Wakes Colne Green, Bretts Green, and many farm houses, etc., bearing different names.
It is in two manors and the soil belongs to various free and copyholders, among whom are Henry Skingley, Esq., of Wakes Hall, Edward Brett, Esq., of Fishers; Mrs. Mary Brett, of Colne Place; Mr. Robert Lay, of Lane Farm; Mr. Robert Lawson; and the trustees of the late Crickett, Esq. The latter own the manor of Creoing Hall, an old moated farm-house, on an eminence, about a mile east of the church, anciently a seat of the Creping family, and afterward. held by the Smyths.
Henry Skingley is lord of the manor of Wakes Hall, which was anciently held by the Maskerels, and afterwards by the Wakes. The heiress of the latter, Margaret Wake, married Edmund of Woodstock, Earl of Kent; and from his family, this manor passed to the Duke of Surrey, Earl of Somerset, Edmund Tudor, John de da Pole, John de Vere, etc. The ancient manor house of Wakes Hall, was taken down by its present owner, who erected the present elegant mansion on the opposite side of the road.
The Church (All Saints,) is a plain antique fabric, with a tall wooden tower, containing three bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £12,5s., and in 1831 at £476, is in the patronage of Earl Verulam, and is now held by his brother, the Hon. and Rev. F.S. Grimston, who has a handsome white brick residence, and about 15 acres of glebe. The tithes have been commuted for £612.1Os.8d. per annum.
In 1460, John Allyson and John Boteler gave 8A.1R. of land, and the Town House, in trust, for the relief of the poor, and the reparation of the church, and they are now let for £17 a year, which is mostly distributed in calico, by the churchwardens.
Back to History of Wakes Colne