History of Thundersley
St Peter's Church, Thundersley.
© Copyright Glyn Baker contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Thundersley >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
THUNDERSLEY, a pleasant village on rising ground, from 2 to 3 miles South West of Rayleigh, and 8 miles South East of Billericay, has in its parish 596 inhabitants, and 2610 acres of land, of which 220 souls, and 860 acres are in Thundersley Hamlet, in Rochford Hundred, about 1½ miles east of the church.
The soil is fertile, and the surface picturesquely undulated and well wooded. Some of the houses command extensive and beautiful prospects, and on the east side of the parish are the extensive woods of Rayleigh and Eastwood.
Several brass. and copper spear heads were lately found here, in a gravel pit; and in the adjacent parish of Rawreth, several Roman urns, drinking cups, etc., of baked clay were dug up in 1848.
At the Norman Survey, Thundersley was held by Suene of Essex, but it was afterwards divided into two manors. That called Thundersley belongs with most of the soil to the Rev. R.W. Bosanquet, M.A., of Rock, near Alnwick, Northumberland, and has been held by the Fitz Barnard, Sturmy, Plantagenet, Parr, Montgomerie, and other families.
The small manor of Bushes, or Burshes, was held by the Busch, Saundon, Vere, Newdigate, and other families; and now belongs to J. Fane, Esq,. Part of the parish belongs to several smaller freeholders.
The Church (St. Peter,) is of mixed Norman and early English architecture, and stands on a bold eminence, commanding a prospect of wide extent over the estuary of the Thames.
It has a nave with aisles, a chancel, and a tower crowned by a spire. The nave and aisles are separated by short round and octagonal pillars, with flowered capitals and pointed arches.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £14.13s.4d., and in 1831 at £561, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. George Hemming, M.A., of Little Parndon, for whom the Rev. C.B. Marriott, B.A., officiates. The glebe is 40A., and the tithes were commuted in 1838. A new Rectory House has lately been erected.
Back to History of Thundersley