History of Tendring
St. Edmund's Church, Tendring
© Copyright Keith Evans contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Tendring >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
TENDRING, 10 miles East of Colchester, and 6 miles South South East of Manningtree, is a long straggling village, which is in the centre and gives name to this Hundred and Union.
Its parish, crossed by a rivulet, bas a high but level surface, and contains several scattered farm-houses, and 2785 acres of land. In 1841, it had 920 inhabitants, including 202 in the Union Workhouse.
A large portion of the soil is light turnip land, and the rest a strong but fertile loam. A fair is held in the village on the 14th of September.
In the Confessor's reign, the parish belonged to four Saxons, but at the Conquest, it was given to the Earl of Boulogne, Ralph Peverell, and the Bishop of London. John Cardinall, Esq., is now lord of the manor of Tendring; but here are several other manor and estates, viz., Gernons, Bretts Hall, Old Hall, New Hall, Harstills Walfes, etc., belonging to Robert Hardy, Esq., Col. Onslow, Robert Thompson, Esq., and a few smaller owners, mostly freeholders.
The Church (St. Edmund,) is an ancient structure, with a wooden turret, containing four bells, and crowned by a small spire. A side gallery was erected in 1838.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £16 and in 1831, at £784, is in the patronage of Baliol College, Oxford, incumbency of the Rev. J.M. Chapman, M.A., who has a large and handsome residence, and about 90A. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1841, for £840 per annum.
A National School, in the Elizabethan style, was built here in 1842, and is attended by about 60 children.
J. Cardinall, Esq., resides at the Manor House, a neat mansion, with well wooded pleasure grounds; and a more modern mansion, in the Swiss style, called the Hall, is the seat of Robert Hardy, Esq.
A farm of 52A., in this parish, belongs to Harwich church.
Back to History of Tendring