History of Stow Maries
St Mary's Church, Stow Maries.
© Copyright Peter Wood contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Stow Maries >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
STOW MARIES, a small pleasant village, on an eminence, 5 ½ miles South by West of Maldon, and 10 miles South East by East of Chelmsford, has in its parish 257 souls, and 2444A. 2R. of land, boldly undulated, and divided into two parts of the parish of Cold Norton.
Stow Marsh, bounded by the Crouch and two of its creeks, is from 1 to 2 miles South of the village. About 60A.are roads, and 80A. salt-ings and ouze.
Anciently there was a family surname Mareys residing here, and from them the parish had the latter part of its name. It is all freehold, but was formerly two manors, called Stow Maries and Hayes, which have been held by the Bohun, Maxey, Sutton, Vere, and other families. The soil now belongs chiefly to Lord Rayleigh, W. J. Prowse, Esq., Exors. of the late C. Parker, Esq., G. Nottidge, Esq., and E. Blore, Esq.
The Church (Virgin Mary,) is a small antique fabric, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a small wooden belfry and spire. The north side is nearly covered with ivy, and in the nave is a trefoiled crocketted niche, said to have anciently contained a silver statue of the Virgin Mary. In the chancel is a piscina, and a brass in memory of T. Cummocke, who died in 1602.
The church is mostly in the perpendicular style of the 15th century, but has undergone many repairs, and the south wall of the nave was rebuilt of brick, about two centuries ago.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £18.6s.8d., and in 1831 at £500, is in the patronage of the Rev. T. C. Storie, and incumbency of the Rev. H. A. Browne, M.A., who has a good residence.
Here is an Infant and also a Sunday School.
Back to History of Stow Maries