History of Stondon Massey
St.Peter and St.Paul's Church, Stondon Massey
© Copyright Robin Webster contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Stondon Massey >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
STONDON-MASSEY, a scattered village and parish, from 2 to 3 miles South East of Chipping Ongar, and 6 miles North North West of Brentwood, has 291 souls and 1025 acres of land, partly on a stony or gravely hill.
It was anciently called Stondon Marci, from the Marci, or Mark family, its early proprietors, from whom it passed to the Spigurnels. It was afterwards held by the Gobion, Boteler, Writel, How, Taylor families.
P.H. Meyer, Esq., is now lord of the manor, and has a pleasant seat here, called Stondon Place; but part of the parish belongs to the Rev. G.G. Stonestreet; Christ's College, Cambridge; and a few smaller owners. The copyholds are subject to arbitrary fines.
The Church (St.Peter and St.Paul,) is a small antique fabric, with a wooden belfry and spire, and three bells. The rectory, valued in K.B. at £13.6s.8d., and in 1831 at £462, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Hubbard, B.A., who has a good residence and about 36A,. of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1848.
In the 17th of Elizabeth, Henry Giles left for the poor 5½A. of land, now let for £7.5s., and two cottages, occupied by paupers. They have also have a yearly rent charge of £1.10., out of Braintree's farm, at Hatfield Broad Oak, left by Alice Thomlinson.
A cottage and an acre of land were given by an unknown donor to buy bell ropes, and are now let for for £2.2s., which is carried to the church warden's accounts.
Back to the History of Stondon Massey