History of Stock
Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
History of Stock >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
STOCK, 2½ miles East of Ingatestone, is a village and parish, adjoining and intermixed with Buttsbury. It contains 605 inhabitants, and about 2,620 acres of land, lying in the same manors as Buttsbury, and belonging to Lord Petre, and many smaller proprietors.
The soil is mostly light, resting on a stratum of white sand and gravel, but on and near the Common, which extends northward nearly to Galleywood, a stiff loam prevails, called brick and pot earth, because it is well suited for the manufacture of those articles.
The name Stock, (a block of wood,) is supposed to indicate that in the Saxon era, the parish had abundant remains of an ancient forest. Lord Bayning compounded with the Crown for disafforesting Bushy-Lees, (70A.) Stock-Mead, and other lands in this parish, parcel of the manor of Blunts.
W.P. Johnson, Esq., has a handsome seat here, called the Woodlands, erected in 1847, at the cost of about £7,OOO, in the Grecian Doric style. The village swelled by most of the houses and inhabitants of Buttsbury, is considerable, and has several neat mansions. It is situated on a bold eminence, commanding extensive views of the surrounding country.
All Saints Church, Stock.
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Stock Church (All Saints,) is an ancient brick structure, except the tower and spire, which are entirely of wood. The tower consists of thick planks fixed into deep grooves between the studs; and has three bells and a clock. The chancel was rebuilt in 1847, and the nave was at the same time thoroughly repaired, and newly fitted up with open benches, and a new roof.
The new windows, doors, arches, mouldings, etc; are admirably executed in the decorated style which prevailed in the reign of Edward III., so as to correspond with the original portions of the edifice.
The Rectory, valued in K.B. at £10, and in 1831 at £658, with that of Ramsden-Bellhouse annexed to it, is in the patronage of Mrs. Edison, and incumbency of the Rev. E.J. Edison, M.A., who has a large and handsome Rectory House, in the Tudor style, recently much improved. The tithes of Stock were commuted in 1839, for £435 per annum.
The Rev. Charles Hoole, M.A., editor of several useful school books, was rector here from 16660 to 1667. His successor was the Rev. Thomas Cox, the compiler of "Magna Britannia et Hibernia, Antiqua and Nova." in six quarto volumes.
National Schools, for 200 children, were built here in 1839, of red and white brick, in the Tudor style.
In the village is an Independent Chapel, erected about 40 years ago. Here are four Almshouses for four poor men, - two of this parish, and two from Boreham, founded by Richard Tweedy, who, in 1574, endowed them with a farm called Prentises, in Stow Maries;- but this now valuable farm was purchased in 1788,: by John Strutt, subject only to the yearly payment of £13.12s. to the almspeople.
In 1601; Edward James left, for the equal benefit of the poor of Stock and Buttsbury parishes, a cottage and 4A. of land, at Downham, now let for £10. In 1833, £30, derived from tbe sale of timber, was expended in rebuilding the cottage.
Back to History of Stock
Are your ancestors from Stock? Why not tell us their story: My Stock Ancestors.