History of St Lawrence
St Lawrence's Church, St Lawrence.
© Copyright Robert Edwards contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of St Lawrence >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
ST. LAWRENCE NEWLAND is a pleasant and fertile parish of scattered houses, 8 miles East by South of Maldon and contains 176 inhabitants, and 2031A.3R.7P. of land, extending northward to the marshes on the south side of the broad estuary of the Blackwater.
It is in three reputed manors, viz., East Hall, West Hall, and St. Lawrence Hall; but the land is now all freehold, and each owner has the manorial rights of his own estate. The principal proprietors are. J.H. Pattison, Esq., Benjamin Torin, Esq., J.H. Green, Esq., Dr. Rolfe, James Parker, Esq., and St. Bartholomew's Hospital.
West Newland belonged to the priory of Holy Trinity, at Cambridge, both before and after the Conquest; and it and the other estates have been held by the Ledett, Austen, Baynard, Mason, Trew, and other families.
The Church is a plain, ancient building, not in good repair, and standing on an eminence. Till 1438 it was appropriated to Beleigh Abbey.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £18.6s.8d., and in 1831 at £498, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. J.B. Carwardine, M.A., who has a neat and pleasantly situated Rectory House, of white brick, slated. The glebe is 6A., and the tithes were commuted in 1837 for £552 per annum.
In the Mon. Anglic., Vol. II., p.626, it is stated that the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's gave 40A. of land in Tillingham to Gerard, the priest of St. Lawrence, and his successors in the rectory; but the incumbents have not enjoyed it in the memory of man, and there is no record shewing when or how it was lost.
The poor have £1.8s.8¾d. yearly from Aylett's Charity.
Back to History of St Lawrence