History of Shelley
St. Peter's Church, Shelley.
© Copyright Robin Webster contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Shelley >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
SHELLEY, a small parish of scattered houses, between the river Roding and Cripsey brook, 1½ mile North of Chipping Ongar, has only 209 inhabitants, and 660 acres of land.
James Tomlinson, Esq., of Shelley Hall, is lord of the manor, which was purchased by him of the Kimpton family, but part of the parish belongs to the Rev. J.B. Stane, Thomas White, Esq., and a few smaller owners.
Brundish Hall was a mansion of considerable extent and antiquity, and what remains of it is now a small farm house, still surrounded by a moat. It was purchased of the Eve family, by Mr. Chaplin, of Shank's mill. Shelley House was long a seat of the Evans family, and passed some years ago to Mrs. Crew.
The Church (St. Peter,) consists of a small nave and a chancel of brick, and a wooden turret. It was built in 1811, on the site of the old one, which was so much decayed that it had not been used during the preceding eleven years.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £9.15s., and in 1831 at £260, is in the patronage of J. Tomlinson, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Henry Soames, M.A., of Stapleford Tawney. The glebe is 37 acres, and tbe Rectory House is an ancient timber-framed building, which was for some time the quiet retreat of Dr. Thomas Newton, Bishop of Bristol, the well-known writer upon the Prophecied, who died in 1782.
The tithes were commuted in 1840, for £180 per annum. In the church is an inscription in memory of John Green and his wife, who had thirteen children, and lived to see 111 grandchildren. The poor parishioners have the dividends of £110.5s.2d. three per Cent. Consols, left by Harvey Kimpton, in 1817; and also the dividends of £333.6s.8d. three per Cent. Bank Annuities, left by William Bullock, in 1822. The rector for the time being is said to be charged with the repairs of Shelley Bridge, as appears by many entries in the Court Rolls of the manor.
Back to History of Shelley