History of Shalford
St Andrew's Church, Shalford.
© Copyright Robin Webster contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Shalford >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
SHALFORD, a scattered village, in the vale of the river Pant or Blackwater, from 4 to 5 miles North North West of Braintree, has in its parish 832 souls, and 2407 acres of land, finely undulated, and having a varied but generally fertile soil, in some puts gravelly, upon a white and yellow sand, which is beneficially applied to the wet heavy lands.
For a long period most of the parish was held of the honour of Clare, and was divided into five manors, several of which were afterwards united. Richard Marriott, Esq., owns a great part of the soil, and is lord of the principal manors, and has a handsome seat here, called Abbott's Hall, from the estate having been held by the monks of St. Osyth.
J.S. and T.W. Legerton, J. Pyne, the Rev. R.E. Kerrich, and several smaller owners, have estates here, mostly free-hold, and partly copyhold, subject to arbitrary fines.
Shalford Hall, now a farm-house, is a large square building, formerly belonging to the Northwood, Thompson, Moore, and Raymond families. The other estates and reputed manors are Nicholls, Shirne Hall, Redfants, Wymers, etc.
The Church (St. Andrew,) is an ancient structure, with a tower and five bells. It has three ancient tombs, and in the south aisle is a hagioscope (holy view,) through which a person might see the Elevation of the Host without being seen by the congregation.
The discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £7, and in 1831 at £155, is in the patronage of the Prebendary of Shalford, of Wells Cathedral, and in the incumbency of the Rev. Walter Melvin Wright.
The prebend of Salford was founded in 1174, by Huno Fitz-Geoffery, who endowed it with the rectory and the advowson of the vicarage. The tithes were commuted in 1847, the rectorial for about £500, and the vicarial for £204 per annum.
Serjeant Bedlowe built an almshouse on the site of an old one, called the Guildhall, for two old men and their wives, and in 1573 he endowed it with 20s. a year, out of land called Bay1ies, at Bocking. The poor parishioners have two yearly rent charges, viz., 20s. out of the manor of Nicholls, and 10s. out of Iron Bridge Farm, but the donors are unknown. They had another of 20s. out of Hill Farm, but it has not been paid during the last fifteen years.
Back to History of Shalford
Are your ancestors from Shalford? Why not tell us their story: My Shalford Ancestors.