History of Sandon
St Andrew's Church, Sandon.
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Sandon >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
SANDON, a pleasant village in the vale of the Sandon brook, 3 miles East South East of Chelmsford, has in its parish 631 souls, and 2,278 acres of land, of which, 429 acres are in pasturage, 19 wood, and 54 waste.
The soil is various, mostly a wet loam, resting on clay; but the elevated ground, occupied by the village, is rather light and sandy. Sandon Bridge is about half a mile North of the village.
George Brudenel Michelson Lovibond, Esq., of London, is owner of most of the soil, and lord of the manor, which was held in the 11th and 12th centuries by the Scales family, and afterwards by the Coggeshall, Phillips, Abdy, Collins, and other families.
The Church (St. Andrew,) stands near the village green, and has some fine trees in its burial ground. It is an ancient structure, consisting of a tiled nave, north aisle, and chancel, with a fine brick tower, embattled, and containing five bells. The nave is Norman; and the whole building partakes of the perpendicular style. The pulpit is richly carved; and here is a good organ, recently built by Mr. Rust, of Chelmsford.
The Rectory, valued in K.B. at £13.6s.8d., and in 1831 at £619, is in the patronage of Queen's College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. G. Phillips, B.D., who has a good residence. The glebe is 24A.; and the tithes were commuted in 1843, for £701 per annum.
The Church Land, given by John Stevyn, in 1492, comprises 13A.1R.12P., called Land's End, and let for £21 per annum. The Rev. Brian Welton, who formed the plan of the Polyglot Bible, was rector here from 1635 till 1660, when he was made Bishop of Chester. He was a native of Yorkshire, and died in 1661.
Back to History of Sandon