History of Roxwell
The Street, Roxwell, c.1965
Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
History of Roxwell >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
ROXWELL, a pleasant village near one of the sources of the river Can, 4½ miles West by North of Chelmsford, has in its parish 827 souls, and 4,755 acres of land, including 120A. of wood, 86A. of waste.
It has many scattered houses, extending northward to Boyton Cross and Chalk-end; and more than two miles south, to the small villages of Radley-Green and Cook's Mill Green; the latter of which is partly in Writtle parish.
The soil is cold and moist - springs being found everywhere in digging a few feet; and the river Can, and two of its tributaries, flowing through, and nearly half encompassing the parish.
Most of the manors in Roxwell, including Boyton Hall, Mountneys, etc., form part of Lord Peter's lordship of Writtle; but a great part of the soil belongs to other proprietors, the largest of whom is T.W. Bramston, Esq., M.P., of Skreens, a large neat mansion, in a beautiful park, about a mile west of the village.
The manor of Skreens was held by the Skreene family in the 15th century, and was purchased by Richard Weston, in 1554. It was sold in 1635, to Sir. John Bramston, Kt., lord chief justice of the King's bench, whose ancestor, William Bramston, was sheriff of London, in 1394.
The house was built by Thomas Bramston, Esq., about 1710, but it and the grounds were greatly improved by his successor. Thomas William Bramston, Esq., M.P., the present owner of Skreens, Tye Hall, and other estates in this parish and neighbourhood, has sat in three parliaments for the South Division of this county.
St Michael and All Angels Church, Roxwell.
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The Church (St. Michael,) is a small ancient structure of stone, with a wooden turret and three bells. The interior is remarkably neat, and contains handsome marble monument, bearing a long Latin inscription from the pen of Cowley, recording the virtues, learning, and honors of Lord Chief Justice Bramston, who died in 1654, aged 78.
The benefice is a donative curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Writtle, and the great tithes of the two parishes belong to New College, Oxford. All the tithes were commuted in 1839, for the yearly rent of £1,020 to New College, and £43 to the Vicar.
The National Schools, with dwellings for the master and mistress, form a neat building, erected in 1834, at the cost of about £500, by T.W. Bramston, Esq., and have room for 300 children. £27.6s.8d. is yearly applied towards the support these schools, from Blencoe's Charity.
The poor of Roxwell have the following yearly doles, viz. :- 20s. from New College, Oxford; 6s.8d. out of Boggis Farm, left by one Dorothy Davis, in 1634, and £1 paid out of Chalk-end Farm, under the name of the Poor Monk's Gift. The rents of a garden and two pieces of land called Church Lands, are carried to the churchwarden's account.
The poor have also the rent of a house and garden, formerly used as the Workhouse.
Back to History of Roxwell