History of Rickling
All Saints Church, Rickling.
© Copyright Nigel Cox contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Rickling >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
RICKLING, a pleasant scattered village and parish, adjoins Quendon on the west, and is about 2 miles South West of Newport Station, and from 7 to 8 miles North by East of Bishop Stortford. It contains 445 souls, and 1342A.2R.23P. of land.
The Ven. William Forbes Raymond, M.A., archdeacon of Nortbumberland, is lord of the two manors, called Rickling Hall and Little Rickling Hall, both of which have courts leet and baron. Mrs. Judd, Mr. James Laird, William Hobson, and several smaller owners, have estates here, mostly copyhold, subject to arbitrary fines.
The Church (Virgin Mary,) is an ancient stone fabric, with a tower and four bells. The discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £10, and in 1831 at £168, is in the patronage of the Bishop of London, and incumbency of the Rev. J. Collin, jun., M.A., who is also rector of Haydon, and has here 7A.lR.7P. of glebe, and a large and handsome Vicarage House, built in 1847, at the cost of about £1500.
In 1729, the vicarage was augmented with £200, given by Mr. Henry Rix, and £200 of Queen Anne's Bounty. The tithes were commuted in 1839, the vicarial for £125, and the rectorial for £273 per annum. The latter belong to the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, London.
Here is National School, built in 1830, and on the Green is a small Independent Chapel.
The poor parishioners have 2A. of land in Low-field common, let for £4; and the dividends of £31.10s.6d. three per cent. Consols, purchased with £19, left by Joshua Burr, in 1813.
Back to History of Rickling