History of Rettendon
East Hanningfield Road, Rettendon, c.1960
Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
History of Rettendon >> Rettendon Court Cases
Rettendon Court Cases
For a full explanation of these court cases and how to further research them, please look at our Essex Court Cases page.
The information is supplied in the following format:
- (d) defendant's name, age and occupation (when given)
- (v) victim's name, age and occupation (when given)
- (w) witness names, age and occupation (when given)
- Place offence committed and places mentioned where the (d), (v) or (w) lived. Some of the defendants may have been from neighbouring parishes not mentioned by name, or itinerant wanderers.
- The court hearing the case.
- The source newspaper or archive reference.
- (d) Isaiah Paine aka Isaiah Payne
- (v) George Payne
- Refusing to supply medical aid
- Chelmsford Petty Sessions
- Daily News 30 September 1875
- (d) Henry Gilbert
- (v) William Smith
- Essex Assizes
- The Morning Chronicle August 7 1829
- (d)Edward Maurice Higgins
- (v)George Neale
- (w)Eliza Neale, Alfred Lazell baker
- Rettendon, Woodham Ferrers
- Chelmsford Petty Sessions
- Lloyds Weekly Newspaper 26 August 1883
- (d) Eliza Kirby
- (v) William Lawrence Pitts
- False pretences
- Calendars of prisoners for Essex Quarter Sessions, Essex Assizes and Special Sessions of Gaol Delivery, 1863 Q/SMc 9, Essex Record Office
- (d) George Swann alias Chaplain
- (v) James Claxton
- Attempted murder
- Calendars of prisoners for Essex Quarter Sessions, Essex Assizes and Special Sessions of Gaol Delivery, 1866 Q/SMc 9, Essex Record Office
- (d) William Hammond 56 farm labourer
- (v) Thomas Savill, William Smith
- Rettendon, Downham
- Calendars of prisoners for Essex Quarter Sessions, Essex Assizes and Special Sessions of Gaol Delivery, 1869 Q/SMc 9, Essex Record Office
Back to History of Rettendon
Find your Ancestors in the Newspapers
Newspaper archives are now a very important source of information for researching your family tree.
Try our example search to help you discover if your ancestors are in the British Newspaper Archive.
Rettendon - Cary's New and Correct English Atlas, 1798
Rettendon - First Series Ordnance Survey Map 1805
This work is based on data provided through www.VisionofBritain.org.uk and uses historical material which is copyright of the Great Britain Historical GIS Project and the University of Portsmouth. Licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence BY-SA-4.0
Ancestry.co.uk now has the 1939 Register.
Discover your ancestors at the start of the Second World War. The Register covers England and Wales.
Looking for pictures to add to your family tree album?
Ebay is a good source of old images of Essex towns and villages. If you're looking for pictures to add to your family tree album, then try one of the auctions, or there are several 'Buy It Now' shops offering postcards which have been touched up and improved - so if you're unsure about bidding, try these.
Link below already formatted for Essex and Postcards.