History of Rayne
Village shop, Rayne, 1901
Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
History of Rayne >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
RAYNE, a neat and pleasant village, on the Dunmow road, and on the western side of the small river Brain, 1½ mile West of Braintree, has in its parish 355 inhabitants, and 1650 acres of land. Some of the houses on the south side of the village are in Feltsted parish.
The Right Hon. A. A. Capel, Earl of Essex, is lord of the manor of Rayne Hall, where his family were formerly seated, but it has long been occupied as a farm-house. It has apparently been erected at two different periods; the more ancient part by the Welles family, and the more modern part by Sir Giles Capel, about 1553.
Mr. Richard Andrews resides at, and is lord of the manor of Old Hall, or Baynards, which has been held by the Baynard, Raynes, Downham, Fillol, and Smith families.
The Lodge estate belongs to the Earl of Essex, and here are small estates belonging to Guy's Hospital, Miss Polley, Mrs Fowke, and several residents.
All Saints Church, Rayne.
© Copyright Peter Stack contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The Church, (All Saints,) was entirely rebuilt in 1840, and is a neat brick structure, with a handsome tower and five bells.
The old church, built about 1110, had became much dilapidated, though it had been repaired, and the tower and spire rebuilt about 1510, by Sir Wm. Capel, Kt., many of whose family were interred in it.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £14.13s.3d., and in 1831 at £480, is in the patronage of the Earl of Essex, and the incumbency of the Hon. and Rev. Wm. Robert Capel, M. A., of Watford, Herts.
The Rectory House is an ancient mansion, and the glebe is 27A. 2B. 37P. The tithes were commuted in 1837, for £500 per annum.
Edward Symonds, M.A., a celebrated divine, was rector here in the time of Charles l., and wrote several popular works, among which are Hermes Theologus; a New Descant upon Old Records; and a Vindication of Charles l.
Dr. Richard Kidder, bishop of Bath and Wells, was rector here from 1664 till 1674.
For distribution in bread the poor of Rayne have the dividends of £166.13s.4d. three per cent. Reduced Annuities, purchased with the bequest of Ralph Polley, in 1831.
Here is a National School, attended by about 60 children.
Back to History of Rayne