History of Prittlewell
Low resolution copy courtesy of Footsteps' Shop on Ebay. Quality postcards of Essex.
History of Prittlewell >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
PRITTLEWELL a neat and well built village with many modern houses overlooking the estuary of the Thames, 1½ miles North West of Southend, and 3 miles South of Rochford, has in its parish 3285 acres of land, and 2339 inhabitants, including the small hamlet of MILTON, and the handsome bathing place of SOUTHEND, the latter of which contains two thirds of the population, and has many elegant houses.
Prittlewell has a fair on the 15th of July, and its pariah is fertile, and rises picturesquely in bold cliffs and swelling hills from the sea shore.
Suene held it in the time of Edward the Confessor, but it is now in several manors. Those called Priors, Milton Hall, etc., belong to D.R. Scratton, Esq., who has a handsome seat called Prittlewell Priory, on the site of a small convent of Cluniac monks, founded by Robert de Essex, son of Suene, in the reign of Henry II.
This house was at first a cell to the alien priory of Lewes in Sussex, but was made denizen in the reign of Edward III. On the dissolution, its revenues were valued at £194.14s.3d. per annum, and it was granted to Lord Chancellor Audley, who conveyed it to Robert, son of Lord Rich. It afterwards passed with the manor to various families.
The manor of Temple Sutton, a mile North East of the church, was held by the knights Templars of Cressing, and was granted in 1841 to George Harper, who sold it to Sir Richard Rich. It now belongs to the Earl of Mornington.
Sir R.D. Neave, Bart., and G.P. Mason, Esq., have manors and estates here, and part of the parish belongs to several smaller owners.
Earl's Fee with Polsted-Wic, on the north side of the parish, was anciently held by the Earls of Oxford, and afterwards by the Polsted, Arundel, Howard, Berkley, Rich, and Bristow families.
The manor of Milton Hall includes Milton-hamlet, which extends to the-beach, and is said to have formerly been a parish, and to have had a church, the remains of which were visible some years ago, near low water mark, in the estuary of the Thames. This hamlet is now a pleasant western suburb of Southend. It was granted by Edward the Confessor to Holy Trinity Priory, in Canterbury, and after the dissolution, it was given to Lord Rich.
St Mary the Virgin's Church, Prittlewell.
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Prittlewell Church (Virgin Mary,) is a handsome structure, in the later English style of architecture, and stands on the summit of tbe hill, commanding extensive prospects, and used as a sea mark.
It is a large fabric, with a lofty stone tower, containing six bell, and having pyramidal corners. It had a chantry, founded in the reign of Edward VI. for two wardens, a master, certain brethen, and a priest.
The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £18.13s.4d., and in 1831 at £345, is in the patronage of the Bishop of London, and incumbency of the Rev. Frederick Nolan, LL.D. The rectorial tithes belong to Sir R.D. Neave, Bart.
Prittlewell Free School has been conducted on the national system since 1817. It was founded in 1727, when Daniel Scratton, lord of the priory manor, and the Rev. Thomas Case, then rector, granted a house and land for the use of a schoolmaster, to teach freely ten poor children.
In 1739, a further grant was added to the endowment by the lord of the manor, and the number of free scholars increased to 16. The property now belonging to the charity consists of 2Oa.2R.25P. of land, let for £23; a house and garden occupied rent-free by the schoolmaster; and two school rooms, one built by Robert Scratton, Esq., in 1817, and occupied by the boys; and the other, which is the original school room, appropriated to the girls.
Besides the rent of the land and the use of the school premises, the master, in consideration of his wife teaching the girls, has £30 a year, raised by subscription and church collections. They have generally 40 to 50 boys, and about as many girls, who pay 1d. each per week, except the 16 free scholars.
The poor parishioners have 10s. a year from Joselyn's Charity. In 1619, Thomas Brown bequeathed to his wife and brother for their lives, and afterwards to the parson and churchwardens, in trust, for the poor of this parish, a copyhold estate at Great Stambridge, now consisting of 17A.2R.7P. of land and a cottage, let for £30, subject to a small deduction for land tax. The clear rent is distributed about Christmas, to all the deserving poor of the parish.
In the village is an Infant School. built in 1339.
Back to History of Prittlewell
Are your ancestors from Prittlewell? Why not tell us their story: My Prittlewell Ancestors.