Ancestors lost in the crowd?
New to family history research?
Perhaps these articles on our website may help:
Census 1841 - 1911
Birth, Death and Marriage Registration
The London Gazette
History of Nazeing
All Saints' Church
Photograph by kind permission of Robert Edwards,
contributor to the Geograph Project
History of Nazeing >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
NAZEING, or NASING, 5 miles North by East of Waltham Abbey, and from 1 to 3 miles East of Broxbourn Station on the North-Eastern Railway, is a picturesque parish of scattered houses, extending three miles eastward from the river Lea, to which it sends a small rivulet. It contains 824 inhabitants and 3890 acres of land, including about 890A. on which the parishioners have common right, but on the Mead (186A.,) they have only the aftermath. There are assemblages of houses at Nazeing Bury, St. Leonard's, Greeen, Long Green. etc., more than a mile South and West of the church. The manor of Nazeing Bury was given by King Harold to Waltham Abbey, but it is now held by Sir Charles Wake, Bart., of Courteen, Northamptonshire; and the manor house is occupied by a farmer. James Frederick Bury, Esq., has an estate here, and a neat mansion, called St. Leonard's, and George Palmer, Esq., owns a great part of the parish, and resides at Nazeing Park, a pleasant seat with tasteful pleasure grounds. Here are several smaller proprietors, and the copyholds are subject to arbitrary fines. Harold's Park, now a farm, was imparked by the Abbot of Waltham, in 1225, and was granted in 1547 to John Dudley, Earl of Warwick.
The Church (All Saints,) is a spacious structure, containing of a nave and north aisle, a chancel, and a tower, containing five bells, and crowned by a spire. The nave and north aisle are separated by four pointed arches, resting on clustered columns. Behind the first column is a small door, leading by a narrow winding staircase to an aperture in front of the chancel, large enough to exhibit a person nearly at full length, and supposed to have been used as a place of penance. The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £14.5s.5d., and in 1831 at £260, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor. and incumbency of the Rev. E.W. Hood, M.A., who has 30A. of glebe, a good residence, and £235 a year in lien of tithes. Sir C. Wake is impropriator of the rectory, which was anciently held by Waltham Abbey. The Post Office is at George Fairchild's and letters are received from London, etc., via Waltham Cross and Broxbourn Railway Stations.
Back to History of Nazeing
Are your ancestors from this location? Why not tell us their story. When were they here? Who were they? What they did they do? Where did they go? Have you an interesting story to tell about them?
Go to the home page of the parish, village or town, and follow the 'My Ancestors' link halfway down the page.