History of Mundon
St Mary the Virgin's' Church, Mundon.
© Copyright Lynda Poulter contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Mundon >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
MUNDON, or Munden, is a small scattered village, 3½ miles South South East of Maldon, near the head of a creek of the Blackwater; but its parish extends northward to Iltney Farm, New-Hall, etc., on the south bank of the estuary, and contains 309 souls, and 3761 acres, including 662A. of water and roads, 371A. of salt-ings, 43A. of marsh and wood, 690A. of meadow and pasture, and 1924A. of arable land.
In the Confessor's reign it belonged to Earl Godwin, and at the Norman Survey to Eudo Dapifer, who gave it to St. John's Abbey, at Colchester. At the dissolution, the manor and rectory were granted to Thomas, Lord Cromwell, on whose attainder they passed to the Crown. They were sold by Sir Thomas Wiseman to an ancestor of their present owner, T.B. Western, Esq.
Iltney farm belongs to Dr. Plume's charities. A. Johnson, Esq., John Hewson, Esq., Rev. C. Dalton, W. Hart, J. Holloway, R. Solly, J. Burchell, and several smaller owners have estates in the parish.
The Hall, a neat mansion, with pleasant grounds, is occupied by Rd, Solly, Esq., who farms upwards of 3000 acres in this and neighbouring parishes.
The Church (Virgin Mary,) is a small ancient structure, with a low wooden belfry, on a heavy hexagonal building forming the vestry.
The vicarage, valued in K.B. at £13, and in 1831 at £160, is in the patronage of the Queen, as Duchess of Lancaster, and incumbency of the Rev. Sir Coventry Payne, B.C.L., of Hatfield Peverell, for whom the Rev. S. DUNN, M.A., of Maldon, officiates. The glebe is 21A.6P., but there is no parsonage house. The tithes have been commuted, the vicarial for £179.5s.5d., and the rectorial for £616.7s.10d. per anuum.
More than £520 of the latter belongs to T.B. Western and William Hart, Esqrs., and the remainder to six other landowners.
This parish is entitled to send 3 or 4 boys to Dr. Plume's Free School at Maldon.
Back to History of Mundon
Are your ancestors from Mundon? Why not tell us their story: My Mundon Ancestors.