History of Mayland
Steeple Road, Mayland, c.1965
Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
History of Mayland >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
MAYLAND, a parish of scattered houses, 7 miles South East by East of Maldon, has 200 inhabitants, and 2030 acres of land.
The manor of Mayland Hall belonged to St.Osyth priory till the dissolution, and was given by Edward Colston, Esq., to the Governors of St. Bartholomew's Hospital, London, to whom it still belongs.
The other principal owners are, T.W. Clagett, Esq., Mrs. Clint. W. Blake, Esq., and Peter Foster, Esq.
Mr. Thomas Solly has a neat house here, built in 1844, on a pleasant eminence. An estate called Knipsho and Dredgers, has been held by the Baynard, Robessart, Bourchier, and Baker families.
St. Barnabas' Church, Mayland
Low resolution copy courtesy of Footsteps' Shop on Ebay. Quality postcards of Essex.
The Church (St. Barnabas,) is a small ancient structure, with a wooden belfry and three bells, and stands on a commanding eminence.
The discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £13.6s.8d., and in 1831 at £131, is in the patronage of the Governors of St. Bartholomew's Hospital, and incumbency of the Rev. T.T. Griffinhoofe, M.A., of Arkesden, for whom the Rev. J. Badger, B.A., of Asheldham, officiates.
There are five acres of glebe, but no parsonage. The tithes were commuted in 1837, the vicarial for £142.5s., and the rectorial for £411. The latter belong to the patrons.
About seven years ago, a number of gold coins were dug up on Bovel Uplands farm, and among them were several doubloons and quarter-guineas of the reign of William III.
A small National School bas been built by the lords of the manor.
The Church Land, 4A. was given by William Aylett, from whose charity the poor parishioners have £1.19s.6d. yearly.
Back to History of Mayland