History of Magdalen Laver
St Mary Magdalen's Church, Magdalen Laver
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Magdalen Laver >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
LAVER (MAGDALEN) parish lies south-west of High Laver, 4 South East of Harlow, and 5 miles North North West of Chipping Ongar. It has a small scattered village, and containg 217 souls, and about 1000 acres of land, which gives rise to one of the tributary streams of the small river Cripsey.
At the Norman Survey, it belonged to Ralph de Todeni, and it afterwards passed to the Burnaville, Waldene, Bataile, Aylet, Cole, and other families.
Jamet Ewing, Esq., is now lord of the manor, but part of the parish belongs to J.A. Haublon, the Rt. Hon. J.H. Frere, and a few smaller owners. The copyholds are subject to arbitrary fines.
In 1757, some labourers when ploughing in the field called Red Mill Shot, found a stone coffin, containing a skeleton. Human bones have been ploughed up in other parts of the same field, but no traces have been found of there having been a church or other building there.
The parish Church (St. Mary Magdalen,) is a small ancient fabric, with a wooden belfry, leaded.
A handsome wooden screen, of ancient appearance, separates the nave and chancel. In the latter is a Latin inscription in memory of the Rev. George Kindleton who was rector here, and suffered much for his loyalty and orthodox faith, during the Commonwealth, and after being banished sixteen years, was reinstated in the living, on the restoration of Charles II.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £16.12s.1d., and in 1831 at £283, is in the patronage of the Rev. William Wilson, and incumbency of the Rev. W.J. Burford, D.D., of Chigwell. The glebe is 27A., and a new parsonage house is about to be built. The tithes were commuted in 1847 for £310 per annum.
Back to History of Magdalen Laver