History of Layer Marney
Layer Marney Tower, Layer Marney.
© Copyright Robin Webster contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Layer Marney >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
LAYER MARNEY, a scattered village and parish, 5½ miles East by South of Kelvedon, and 7 miles North West of Colchester, has 256 inhabitants, and 1950A. of land, including 120A. of wood, and 20A. of waste and roads.
It adjoins Tiptree Heath, and is the most western of the three Layer parishes. It includes Heyns Green, and had the latter part of its name from the Marney family, who were long seated here.
In 1523 Henry Marney was created Baron Marney; but on the death of his son John, in 1525, the title became extinct. The co-heiresses of the latter sold the manor to Sir Brian Tuke; and in 1573 it was sold to Sir S. Tryon. About 1628 it was purchased by Nicholas Corsellis, Esq., whose family held it till about ten years ago, when they sold it to Quintin Dick, Esq., the present lord of the manor and owner of most of the soil.
Layer Marney Tower is nearly all that now remains of the ancient seat of the Marney family, which was one of the earliest and largest brick buildings in the kingdom.
It was of a quadrangular form, enclosing a spacious court, the chief entrance to which was through the stately tower gateway. which now remains, and consists of a lofty centre, of two stories, flanked at each angle by an octangular tower, rising to a considerable height, and commanding extensive views of the surrounding country and the ocean. Attached to the east and west sides of the gateway are some old buildings, converted into a farm house and offices.
St John the Baptist's Church, Layer Marney.
© Copyright Peter Stack contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The Church (Virgin Mary,) is a stately fabric, in the latter style of English architecture, built chiefly of brick, and consisting of a nave, north aisle, chancel, and tower; with a small chapel, built by Henry Lord Marney, whose successor left £250 towards rebuilding the church.
The interior has a beautiful screen, and several handsome monuments, two of which have effigies of the two Lords Marney. On a marble tomb is the figure of a knight in armour, representing William Marney, who died in 1414. In 1330 William de Marney founded a college here, for a warden and two chaplains; the latter to officiate in two chantries, which he had also founded here, and endowed with the advowson and 30A. of land.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £15.13s.4d., and in 1831 at £378, is in the gift of Quintin Dick, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Samuel Farman, M.A., who has a good residence. The tithes have been commuted for £466 per ann.
Back to History of Layer Marney
Are your ancestors from Layer Marney? Why not tell us their story: My Layer Marney Ancestors.