History of Loughton
Station Road, Loughton, c.1955
Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
History of Loughton >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
LOUGHTON is a large scattered village, on the eastern side of Epping Forest, and the western side of the picturesque vale of the river Roding, 12 miles North East by North of London, and 4 miles South South West of Epping.
Consisting chiefly of Loughton Street, which extends near two miles along the high road, and has many genteel houses, encompassed by beautiful and picturesque scenery; being in close proximity with the most woody and diversified part of the forest, in the most elevated part of which is seen High Beech, and its new district church.
Debden Green and Buckhurst Green are surrounded by first-rate houses, and the prospects from Golden-hill-House are exceedingly rich and extensive, including most of London, and much of the intervening district of suburban villas in Chigwell, Woodford, Wansted, Walthamstow, etc, where, as well as here, many of the residents are connected with the trade and commerce of the metropolis.
The parish of Loughton is all within the bounds of Epping Forest, and contains 3508 acres of land, of which 947 acres are arable, 1227 pasture and meadow land, and 1309 open forest and woodland. Its population increased from 681 souls in 1801, to 1333 in 1841.
William Whitaker Maitland, Esq., is lord of the manor, and owner of the greater part of the soil; and the rest belongs to John Williams, Esq., J.G. Lynde, Esq., John Davison, Esq., and several smaller proprietors.
Loughton was one of the seventeen lordships given by Earl Harold to Waltham Abbey. In 1558, Queen Mary attached it to the Duchy of Lancaster, of which it has been held by the Darcy, Stonard, Wroth, and Nassau families. It was purchased in 1745 by William Whitaker, Esq., from whom it descended to its present owner. The Hall, which was a large mansion near the church, was burnt down in 1836.
The ancient parish Church (St. Nicholas,) being much decayed and inconveniently situated at the distance of a mile east of the village, was pulled down in 1847, except a small portion fitted up for the performance of the burial service.
St John the Baptist's Church, Loughton.
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The New Church, built in 1846, is a handsome cruciform structure in the Norman style, standing on a commanding eminence in a central situation. It was built by subscription at the cost of about £6000, and has a short tower rising from its centre.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £18.3s.9d., and in 1831 at £500, is in the patronage of W.W. Maitland, Esq., and incumbency of the Venerable Anthony Hamilton, M.A., who has 42A,. of glebe, and a large old residence, which has recently been much improved, and has handsome pleasure grounds. The tithes were commuted in 1848.
The Baptists have a chapel here built in 1813; and in the parish are National and British Schools, liberally supported by subscription. Two boys are sent from Loughton to Chigwell free school.
An acre, called the Poor's Piece is let for £3, which is distributed in bread, together with 20s. a year from Rampton's Charity. The poor parishioners have also the dividends of £49.17s.3d. three per cent Reduced Annuities, left by Nicholas Pearse in 1821.
The Garden Allotments comprise 6 acres, which were granted from the waste in 1813 and 1817, for the use of the industrious poor, under the control of the rector and churchwardens. They are divided into 48 gardens, occupied by as many labourers at small rents, amounting to £6 per annum, which is applied in repairing the fences, and in rewards for the best cultivation.
The Sunday School was built on the waste in 1815. The yearly dividends of £2700 three per cent. Reduced Annuities, left by Ann Whitaker, are applied as follows:- £53.10s. to the support of the Sunday School, and £19.8s. in distributions to the poor.
Back to History of Loughton