History of Little Yeldham
St John the Baptist's Church, Little Yeldham
© Copyright Bob Jones contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Little Yeldham >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
YELDHAM (LTTLE) or Upper Yeldham is a small but pleasant village and parish, about 1½ mile East North East of Great Yeldham, and 8 miles North by West of Halstead. It contains 333 inhabitants, and 919 acres of land.
In Domesday Book it is described as a berewick in the Honor of Clare, and as being held under the Earl of Boulogne. Little and Great Yeldham are variously spelt in old records, Geldham, Zeldham, and Geldeham.
Colonel W.H. Meyrick owns a great part of the parish, and is lord of the manor of Little Yeldham, or Overhall, which was long held by the Earl of Oxford, but was sold by the 17th Earl, in 1584, to John Mabbe or Webbe. It afterwards passed to the Smith, Dod, Clark, Muilman, and other families.
M. Saville, J.N. Gooch, J. Rumball, and D. Gurteen, Esqrs., and a few smaller owners have estates in the parish, partly copyhold, subject to arbitrary fines.
An estate called Goddings, was anciently the seat of the Goddinge family, but the house was destroyed many years ago.
The farm called Sewales, now held by Mr. J. Rumball, was held by the Sewale family in the 16th century, under the Earls of Oxford.
The Church is small antique structure with a wooden turret and two bells. The communion, plate was given by the late Peter Muilman, Esq., who planted the fir trees which surround the churchyard.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £8, and in 1831 at £222, is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor, and incumbency of the Rev. John Gaselee, M.A., who has two acres of glebe, and a neat residence. The tithes were commuted in 1840 for £275 per annum.
The poor of this parish have 36s. yearly, as their share of Cook's Charity.
Back to History of Little Yeldham