History of Little Sampford
St. Mary's Church, Little Sampford
© Copyright Robert Edwards contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Little Sampford >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
SAMPFORD, (LITTLE) or NEW SAMPFORD, is a parish and scattered village on the western side of the vale of the river Pant, 3½ miles North East of Thaxted, and 9 wiles South East of Saffron Walden. It contains 470 souls and 2628 acres of land, which belonged to Richard Fitz-Gislebert at Domesday Survey.
Lieut.-General Sir W.C. Eustace, K.C.H., is lord of the manor and owner of most of the soil, and resides at New Sampford Hall, a fine old mansion, in a small park, near the church. The manor was formerly held by the Taleworth, Green, Tewes, Peck, and other families.
The estate called Friers was given to the Knights Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem, by Olivia, daughter of Geoffrey Fitz-Baldwin, in the reign of Henry III. It was afterwards held by the Higham and Henniker families.
The Church (Virgin Mary,) is a plain stone fabric, consisting of a nave, north aisle and chancel, leaded; and a lofty tower, containing three bells, and surmounted by a spire. In the church are several handsome monuments belonging to the Peck family.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £11, and in 1831 at £516, is in the patronage of New College, Oxford, and incumbency of the Rev. J. Ekins, B.C.L., who has 52A. of glebe and a good residence. The tithes were commuted in 1835 for £700 per annum.
Mr. J. Pettit, Mrs. Portway, and several others have estates in the parish; mostly free and partly copyhold, subject to certain fines.
The Church Land is 2½A., let for £2.4s. per annum.
In 1705, Gertrude Peck left £60 for the poor, and it was invested in a rent charge of £3 out of 9A. of land at Spain's End. In 1740, William Peck purchased this land for the poor, at the cost of £60.15s., and it is now let for £9.12s. a year, which is distributed in clothing.
The poor parishioners have also £3.10s. a year from Riley's Charity.
Back to History of Little Sampford