History of Little Oakley
The Cherry Tree, Little Oakley
Low resolution copy courtesy of Footsteps' Shop on Ebay. Quality postcards of Essex.
History of Little Oakley >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
OAKLEY, (LITTLE) a pleasant parish of scattered houses, about a mile from the sea shore, and 4½ miles South West of Harwich, has 255 inhabitants, and 1028 acres of land, rising boldly from the beach, and bounded on the north-west by a small creek from Harwich Haven.
It has several good houses, commanding fine prospects, and was held by Ralph Baynard at the time of the Conquest, and afterwards by Fitzgilbert, Fitzwalter, Sutton, Darcy, Gilley, Leathes, and other families.
Sir J. R. Rowley, Bart., R.N., is now lord of the manor; but part of the soil belongs to Edw. Norman, Esq., Mrs. Carrington, and several smaller owners, partly copyholders, subject to fines equal to two year's improved rental.
The Church (St. Mary,) is an ancient structure, consisting of a nave and chancel, in the decorated style, and a stone tower, in the perpendicular style, containing four bells.
The present rector has recently restored the stone work of the chancel, which contains a beautiful piscina on the south side, and a fine niche on each side of the great east window. He has also erected a handsome new stone altar screen. A friend gave him coloured encaustic tiles for the pavement, and E. Norman, Esq., gave the communion rails.
A beautiful stone font, of the decorative period, was presented by the rector and other contributors. The entrance door is within a pierced buttress of rare workmanship.
The rectory valued in K.B. at £13.11s.0½d., and in 1831 at £525, is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. George Burmester, M.A., who has 30 acres of glebe, and a large and handsome Rectory House, of red brick, with a conservatory adjoining, and a good vegetable and flower garden.
The oldest church register commences in 1558.
On a piece of glebe land, a very neat and picturesque National School, with a residence for the teacher, was built in 1844-5, at the cost of about £500, of which £100 was given by the rector, besides the land for the site and garden.
Back to History of Little Oakley