History of Little Clacton
St James's Church, Little Clacton.
© Copyright Peter Stack contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Little Clacton >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
CLACTON, (LITTLE) a pleasant scattered village, occupies a level site, nearly 2 miles North of Great Clacton, and 12½ miles East South East of Colchester. It has a fair on the 25th. of July, and its parish contains 547 souls, and 2908A. of land.
W. F. Nassau, Esq., is lord of the two manors, but a greater part of the soil belongs to P. Bennett, Esq., the Naval Knights of Windsor, Miss Harding, Miss Freeman, and several others. The copyholds are subject to arbitrary fines.
The manor, Geddy Hall, has been held by the Cary, Webb, and other families, and that of Bovils, by the Dorell, Travers, and Holditch families.
The Church,(St. James,) is a small ancient structure, which was re-pewed in 1847. It was appropriated to St. Osyth Priory, and the great tithes now belong to the principal land owners.
The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at £6.13s.4d., and in 1831 at £120. It is in the patronage of W. F. Nassau, Esq., and incumbency of Rev. J. L. Kirby, B.A., who has a good residence, built in 1839, and £156 a year in lieu of tithes.
A legacy of £100, left for the poor by Wm. Hubbard, in 1596, was laid out in the purchase of 22A. of land, at St. Osyth, now let for £34, which is distributed in blankets, coals, meat, and small sums of money, except £1 carried to the Sunday school account.
Back to History of Little Clacton