History of Little Chesterford
St Mary the Virgin's Church, Little Chesterford.
© Copyright Mym contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Little Chesterford >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
CHESTERFORD, (LITTLE) a small village and parish on the river Cam, or Granta, about a mile south of Great Chesterford, and 3 miles North North West of Saffron Walden; is traversed by the North-Eastern Railway, and contains 229 souls, and 1166 acres of land.
The Marquis of Bristol is lord of the manor, but part of the soil belongs to Lord Braybroke, the Hon. R.C. Neville, and several smaller owners.
The Church (St. Mary,) is a small ancient edifice, entered by the north porch under a Gothic arch, ornamented with sculptured heads. A heavy wooden screen divides the nave and chancel, and in the latter is an ancient marble tomb, bearing the recumbent effigy of James Walsingham, Esq., who flourished in the reign of Henry III. The rectory is consolidated with the vicarage of Great Chesterford.
The rector has here about 206 acres of glebe land, mostly allotted in lieu of tithes, at the enclosure, in 1804.
The poor have 6s.6d. yearly from Martin'$ Charity; and also the dividends of £122 three per cent. stock, purchased with £160 left by Viscountess Falkland, for distribution in bread.
In 1617, £50 given by Lady Hunsden, and £50 given by other donors, was laid out in the purchase of a cottage and 12A. of copyhold land, which were vested in trust the poor of this parish. At the enclosure this property was exchanged for an allotment of 5A.14P. of freehold land, now let for £22, which is distributed about Christmas.
The poor, not receiving parochial relief, have the dividends of £507.18s.1ld. three per cent. Bank Annuities, purchased in 1772, with £448, which arose from the principal and interest of £200 left by Lady Eliz. Osborn, in 1733.
Back to History of Little Chesterford