History of Little Burstead
St. Mary's Church, Little Burstead
© Copyright Robin Webster contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Little Burstead >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
BURSTEAD, (LITTLE) or Little Burghsted, is a small scattered village and parish, from 1½ to 2½ miles South South West of Billericay, and contains 170 souls, and 1830 acres of land, giving rise to two sources of the river Crouch.
Earl Godwin was lord of the manor in the Confessor's Reign, and at Domesday Survey it was held by the Bishop of London.
The estate, called White Hall, has been held by the Helion, Owen, Walden, Pakenbam, and Tyrell families, and lately belonged to the Earl of Arran. The Trustees under the will of the late Thomas Lowndes, Esq., are now lords of the manor and owners of a great part of the parish, and the rest belongs to Thomas Mayott, Esq., and other proprietors, mostly copyholders.
Here are two genteel houses belonging to Mrs. Raphael and the Trustees of the late Peter Skipper.
The Church (St. Mary,) is a small antique fabric, in an obscure situation; and the rectory, valued in K.B. at £12, and in 1831 at £280, is in the patronage of the Bishop of London. and incumbency of the Rev. William B. Dalton, M.A., who has 35A. of glebe, and a commodious residence, pleasantly situated at a short distance from the church. The tithes were commuted in 1839 for £350 per annum, and the incumbent has £20 a year left by the Rev. W. Dunbar, a late rector, in 1737.
In the church are several monuments of the Herris, Grimston, and Walton families, and one is in memory of Sir George Walton, admiral of the blue, who died in 1739, aged 74, and distinguished himself at the destruction of the Spanish fleet, in 1718.
About the year 1600, John Cowper vested in trust for the benefit of the poor parishioners not receiving parochial alms, 33A.33P. of land, and a house and five cottages, now let for about £40 a year. After paying for repairs and incidental expenses, the residue is distributed by the vestry, among the poor.
The Parish School was built at the expense of four gentlemen, and is supported chiefly by the rector.
The poor have also 20s. yearly from the rector and churchwardens of St. Pancras, London, left by Thomas Chapman, in 1626; end a yearly rent-charge of 3s., out of land, called Buller's, left by Mary Fiske, about 1707.
Back to History of Little Burstead