History of Little Bromley
St. Mary the Virgin Church, Little Bromley
© Copyright Peter Stack contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Little Bromley >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
BROMLEY (LITTLE) is a village and parish, 3½ miles South by West of Manningtree, and 7 miles East by North of Colchester, containing 426 souls, and 1853 acres of land.
In two manors, called Little Bromley of Church Hall, and Braham or Breame Hall, which were held by Queen Edeva, in the Confessor's reign, and afterwards by the Hastings, Godmanston, Vere, Bromley, and other familes.
J. Ambrose, Esq, is now lord of the manors, but most of the soil belongs to C. Nunn, E. and F. Norman, J. Page, J. Bigsby, S. Dennis, H. Wrinch, and a few smaller owners, partly free and partly copyholders.
The Hall is the seat of C. Nunn, Esq., a celebrated fox-hunter, who has one of the best packs of hounds in the county.
The Church (St. Mary,) is a plain, ancient structure, which has undergone many repairs, and has a short tower, containing three bells. The interior is neatly fitted up, and has several handsome mural monuments; one in memory of the Rev. Thos. Newman, who held the rectory 45 years, and died in 1837.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £8, and in 1831 at £493, is in the patronage of Wadham College, Oxford, and incumbency of the Rev. H. B. Newman, M.A., who has a large residence, and 13A. 3R. 39P. of glebe.
A neat School was built by C. Nunn, Esq., in 1829. Towards the support of a Sunday school, this parish has the dividends of £100 three per cent. Reduced Annuities, from Crossman's Charity.
To provide coats and gowns for poor men and women, Eliz. Warren, in 1809, gave dividends of £210 three and a half per cent. Reduced Annuities, in pursuance of the wish of her brother, John Barton, who died intestate in 1806.
Back to History of Little Bromley