History of Lawford
Lawford Hall, Lawford.
© Copyright Henry Lawford contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Lawford >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
LAWFORD, a pleasant and fertile parish on the south side of the river Stour, extends westward from the town and port of Manningree to a distance of two miles, and includes Lawford Street, Wignall Street, and several neat mansions, and scattered houses. It contains 868 inhabitants and 2679 acres of land, mostly in the manors of Lawford Hall, and Dale Hall.
Mrs. Greene is lady of the former manor, which was held by Harold before the Conquest, and afterwards by the Earls of Boulogne, and the Bouchier, Blount, Darcy, Waldegrave, and other families. She resides at Lawford Hall, a large and handsome mansion, which stands in a beautiful park, and was modernized and mostly rebuilt by Edward Greene, Esq., about 80 years ago, when most of the old house, built by Edw. Waldegrave, Esq., in 1583, was pulled down.
Mrs. C. Cox. of Lawford Place, is lady of the manor of Dale Hall, a neat and delightfully situated mansion, now the residence of Major Sadler, and anciently the seat of the Dales, from whom it passed to the Darcy, Crew, and Burton families.
Lawford House is the handsome seat of Thomas Nunn. Esq.; and part of the parish belongs to Carrington Nunn, Esq., and several smaller owners, mostly copyholders, subject to arbitrary fines.
St. Mary's Church, Lawford.
© Copyright Robert Edwards contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The Church (St. Mary,) occupies an elevated site nearly in the centre of the parish, and has a nave, chancel, and tower. It is an ancient structure, which has undergone many repairs, and the walls of the interior are curiously ornamented with elaborate stone carvings.
The fine east window is blocked up with the wood on which the altar-piece is painted. The eight side windows are in the decorative style, each differing in mouldings, ornaments etc. In the chancel are some neat mural monuments in memory of the Greenes and former lords of the manor.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £15, and in 1831 at £642, is in the patronage of St. John's College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Chas. Merrivale, B.D., who has a large residence with pleasant grounds, and 41A. 3R. 12P. of glebe. The tithes have been commuted for £730 per annum.
Near the church gate is a house left many years ago by a Mr. Pecksale, for the use of the sexton, provided he keeps it in repair, and pays 8s. yearly to the owner of Lawford Hall.
In 1723, John Leach bequeathed his farm and lands in Wignall Street, in trust to apply rents in clothing for ten poor people, and schooling ten poor children of this parish. The charity estate now consists of a large house, barn, and 22A. of land, let for £42, a garden let for £4, and 12A. now forming part of Mrs. Greene's park, and held by her on lease, at the yearly rent of £21. Mr. James May is one of the trustees, and a large portion of the income is distributed annually in clothing, and the rest is applied in supporting a dame school.
Back to History of Lawford
Are your ancestors from Lawford? Why not tell us their story: My Lawford Ancestors.