History of Latton
St. Mary the Virgin Church, Latton.
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Latton >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
LATTON, a parish of scattered houses, on the eastern side of the vale of the Stort, from 2 to 4 miles South of Harlow, contains 303 inhabitants, and 1,382 acres of land, including the Common, near Potter Street, on which Harlow Bush Fair is held.
At Domesday Survey, this parish belonged to Eustace, Earl of Boulogne, Peter de Valoines, and the Abbey of Bury St. Edmund's. The estate belonging to the latter was made the foundation of Latton Priory, which was dedicated to St.John the Baptist, and was founded in the 12th or 13th century, for Augustine canons. The name of its founder, and the annual value of its revenues, are not recorded.
Its church consisted of a nave, chancel, and transepts, the remains of which have long been used as a barn, in which seen the four lofty Gothic arches which formed the centre of the building. The site of the monastic buildings is encompassed by a moat, and one part of the enclosure is called the "Monks Bowling Green."
Henry VIII. granted the Priory to Sir Henry Parker, and it afterwards passed with manors of Latton Hall and Mark Hall, to the Altham, Lushington, and Burgoyne families. The whole estate was sold in 1810, for more than one hundred thousand guineas, to the late Richard Arkwright, Esq., from whom it passed to the Rev. Joseph Arkwright, B.A., of Mark Hall.
Mark Hall is a handsome mansion, which was rebuilt by Sir William Lushington, who sold the estate to Montagu Burgoyne, Esq, who resided here in the latter part of last century. It is said that more than £30,000 was expended in the erection and, embellishment or this elegant seat. The original house was called Mark or Mark Hall, from the ancient family of Mere, who. long occupied the estate as tenants of Eustace, Earl of Boulogne, and subsequent lords of the Manor.
The parish Church (Virgin Mary,) stand near the Hall, and on the north side of the chance1 is a chapel, built by Sir Peter Arden, for a chantry priest. The tower is embattled, and contains four bell.
The rectorial tithes were appropriated to the Priory, but Sir James Altham settled them upon the vicarage, valued in K.B. at £7, and in 1831 at £482. The Rev. Joseph Arkwright, B.A., the lord of the manor, is both patron and incumbent, and has recently restored and beautified the interior of the church.
The poor parishioners have 40s. a year out of Mark Hall estate, left by Emanuel Woolley. The glebe is 113A., and the tithes were commuted in 1838 for £385 per annum.
Back to History of Latton