History of Latchingdon
outside the Waggon and Horses PH, Latchingdon, c.1900
Low resolution copy courtesy of Footsteps' Shop on Ebay. Quality postcards of Essex.
History of Latchingdon >> Latchingdon Court Cases
Latchingdon Court Cases
For a full explanation of these court cases and how to further research them, please look at our Essex Court Cases page.
The information is supplied in the following format:
- (d) defendant's name, age and occupation (when given)
- (v) victim's name, age and occupation (when given)
- (w) witness names, age and occupation (when given)
- Place offence committed and places mentioned where the (d), (v) or (w) lived. Some of the defendants may have been from neighbouring parishes not mentioned by name, or itinerant wanderers.
- The court hearing the case.
- The source newspaper or archive reference.
- (d) John Wilkinson brick maker 16
- (v) William Butler
- Essex Assizes
- Ipswich Journal 18 January 1881
- (d) Thomas Wiffen 32 blacksmith
- (v) Thomas Freeman
- False pretences
- Calendars of prisoners for Essex Quarter Sessions, Essex Assizes and Special Sessions of Gaol Delivery, 1862 Q/SMc 9, Essex Record Office
- (d) Walter Rushen 27 farm labourer
- Unnatural offence with animal
- Calendars of prisoners for Essex Quarter Sessions, Essex Assizes and Special Sessions of Gaol Delivery, 1874 Q/SMc 10, page 133 Essex Record Office
Back to History of Latchingdon
Find your Ancestors in the Newspapers
Newspaper archives are now a very important source of information for researching your family tree.
Try our example search to help you discover if your ancestors are in the British Newspaper Archive.
Latchingdon - Cary's New and Correct English Atlas, 1798
Latchingdon - First Series Ordnance Survey Map 1805
This work is based on data provided through www.VisionofBritain.org.uk and uses historical material which is copyright of the Great Britain Historical GIS Project and the University of Portsmouth. Licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence BY-SA-4.0
NEW Ancestry Gift Membership from £55.99**
This Christmas save 20% on Ancestry Gift Memberships.
An ideal present for someone starting out to discover their family story.
** Offer ends 25/12/2018 Terms apply.
Looking for pictures to add to your family tree album?
Ebay is a good source of old images of Essex towns and villages. If you're looking for pictures to add to your family tree album, then try one of the auctions, or there are several 'Buy It Now' shops offering postcards which have been touched up and improved - so if you're unsure about bidding, try these.
Link below already formatted for Essex and Postcards.