History of Langham
St. Mary's Church, Langham.
© Copyright Robert Edwards contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Langham >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
LANGHAM is a long parish of scattered houses, extending from the south bank of the navigable river Stour, near Stratford and Dedham, at the distance of 7, to within 3 miles North of Colchester. It contains 816 souls, and 2874 acres of land, including Langham Moor Park Lane, Highfield, Langham Yalley, etc. It is crossed by the Black Brook rivulet, and has a mixed fertile soil, well wooded, and highly cultivated.
Lord Ashburton is lord of the manor and owner of Langham Hall, a neat mansion on a pleasant eminence, near the church, in the vale of the Stour, commanding an extensive view towards Harwich, and now occupied by W.J. Maude, Esq. This hall successively belonged to the Tyrells, Nevilles, De La Poles, Thayers, and Hindes. It was much improved by John Hinde, Esq., about 1740.
There is a small copyhold manor belonging to the rectory. Highfield is the seat of Thomas Blyth, Esq.
Mrs. Pearson, of London, and the Blyth, Sadler, and other families, have estates here. Wenlocks now called Hill Farm, belonged to a younger branch of noble family of that name, and was the residence of John Wenlock, who suffered severely for his loyalty to Charles I. This estate was held of the honour of Clare by the service of a knight's fee.
The Church (St. Mary) is in the vale of the Stour, 6½ miles North by East of Colchester, and has a leaded nave and south aisle, a tiled chancel, and a tower at the west end, containing five bells. On the north side of it there was formerly a chapel.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £17.118.0½d., and in 1831 at £549, is in the patronage of the Duchy of Lancaster, and incumbency of the Rev. E.C. Ellis, M.A., who has a large new Rectory House, on a commanding eminence. The glebe is 33A.lR.l8P., and the tithes have been commuted for £640 per annnm.
At Highfield is a Baptist Chapel, belonging to a congregation formed in 1755. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel in the parish.
The poor have £2.10s. yearly from Love's Charity, and the churchwardens of East Bergholt pay £2 per annum to Langham for the education of poor children, as a share of Dyke's Charity.
Back to History of Langham