History of Langdon Hills
Westley Road, Langdon Hills, c.1950
Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
History of Langdon Hills >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
LAINDON HILLS, or Langdon Hills, a scattered village and parish, on a lofty eminence, 5 miles South of Billericay, and 8 miles North of Tilbury Fort, has 288 inhabitants, and 1775 acres of land.
The hill on which this parish stands is about a mile in length and breadth, and its summit commands one of the finest prospects in England, extending over the vale of the Thames from London to the Nore. From the north, the ascent of the hill is gradual, but its other sides rise abruptly. Pleasure parties from the metropolis and other places often assemble round a large tree at the highest point, to enjoy the extensive and delightful view, in which is seen the broad bosom of the Thames for a distance of nearly forty miles, thickly studded with steam and sailing vessels; and a wide range of country in this county and Kent.
The manor of Laindon was held at the Conquest by Suene of Essex, and afterwards passed to the Langedon and Sutton families, but reverted to the Crown in 1382. It now belongs to the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. London, together with the manor of West Lee, which was anciently a separate parish, but was united to this parish in 1432, and the site of its church is now unknown.
West Lee belonged to Edeva, before the Conquest, and to the Canons of St. Paul's at the Norman Survey. Edward II. granted to it the immunity that no King's purveyor should take any corn within its precincts.An estate here was given by Thomas White, D.D., as an endowment of the five scholarships and the professorship of moral philosophy, founded by him at Oxford, in 1621.
The manor of Goldsmiths, in Laindon Hills, is held by Mrs. Baker, and was formerly held by the Malgrave, Archer, Andrews, Askham, Cotton, and Hatton families. In the parish is a large wood. belonging to Mr. Dimsdale.
St Mary and All Saints' Church, Langdon Hills. (Now a private house.)
© Copyright Robin Webster contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The Church (St. Mary and All Saints,) stands on the western side of the hill, and has a nave, chancel, and north chapel.
The discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at £10.3s.9d., and in 1831 at £255. is in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of St. Pauls, and incumbency of the Rev. R.C. Packman, B.A.
St Mary and All Saints' Church, Langdon Hills. Built 1876 replacing the earlier church.
© Copyright Glyn Baker contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Back to History of Langdon Hills