History of Laindon
Low resolution copy courtesy of Footsteps' Shop on Ebay. Quality postcards of Essex.
History of Laindon >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
LAINDON, or Langdon Clay, is a pleasant village, on the northern declivity of the Laindon Hills, 3½ miles South by East of Billericay, and 7 miles South East by East of Brentwood.
Its parish contains 568 inhabitants, and 2300 acres of land, exclusive of Basildon chapelry, which is consolidated with it ecclisiastically, under the name of Laindon-cum-Basildon; but they support their poor as two separate townships.
Since Domesday Survey, the manor of Laindon, or Langdon, has been held by the successive Bishops of London, but part of the soil belongs to W. Roper and several other proprietors. The estate called Gobions was held by the Gobion family in the 14th century; and afterwards by the Symonds and Gaynesfords.
St Nicholas' Church, Laindon.
© Copyright Robert Edwards contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The Church (St. Nicholas,) stands on rising ground, and has a nave, south aisle, and chancel, with a wooden tower and spire. It had a chantry, founded and largely endowed in 1329, by Thomas Berdefield, for a chaplain to pray for his soul for ever at the altar of the Virgin Mary and St. Thomas the Martyr.
Some ancient grave-stones in the church have several figures of persons in religious habits, but the inscriptions are gone.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £35.6s.8d., and in 1831 at £779, with the perpetual curacy of Basildon annexed to it, is in the patronage of the Bishop of London, and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Hodgson, M.A., who was inducted in 1803, and resides at Rickmansworth vicarage, Herts.
In 1617, John Puckle left in trust, for charitable uses, a farm 62 acres, called Puckle's, and now let for £50 a year.
The rent of this farm having greatly exceeded the sums directed by the donor to be paid for charitable uses, a new scheme for the future administration of the charity was confirmed by the Court cf Chancery, in 1831, and under it the rent is applied yearly, as follows: - £4 to the poor of Great Burstead parish; £20 to the master of Laindon School, for teaching 20 poor children of this parish; £1 for a sermon on St. John's day; and £25 in distribution of coals and clothing among the poor parishioners - except what it may be necessary to deduct for repairs, etc.
The poor of this parish have also a yearly rent charge of £4, left by an unknown donor, out of an estate called the Vineyard, in Fobbing parish.
Back to History of Laindon