History of Ingatestone
Ingatestone Hall, Ingatestone.
© Copyright Julian Osley contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Ingatestone >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
INGATESTONE, a small ancient town, which had formerly a market, has a station on the Eastern Counties Railway, and is pleasantly situated on the high road, 6 miles South West of Chelmsford, and 23 miles North East of London. Its parish has only 866 inhabitants, and 670 acres of land; but as it adjoins, and is intermixed with that of Fryerning, the total population of the town and suburbs, is upwards of l,600.
It is a post town, and has a large annual fair for cattle, etc., on Dec. 1st, and one for pleasure on the following day. Its weekly market, formerly held on Wednesday, was once considerable, but was discontinued many years ago. Being on the great road from the Metropolis to Colchester, Norwich, etc., tt was a great thoroughfare for coaches, vans, waggons, cattle, etc.; but the traffic is now mostly drawn into the vortex of the railway, which passes on the east side of the town.
Lord Petre is lord of the manor, which in old records is called "Ging or Yng ad Petram," signifying the Ing at the Stone, and supposed to have been derived from a Roman mile-stone, and the rich meadows which surround the town.
The river Wid bounds the parish on the east, and receives here two small tributary streams.
In some documents, the manor is called Ging Abbess, from its being held by the abbess and nuns of St. Mary's, at Barking. After the dissolution it was purchased by Sir William Petre, the liberal founder of the almshouses here, and of eight fellowships at Oxford, called Petrean.
He built Ingatestone Hall, a large brick mansion, in the Elizabethan style, which formed three sides of a square; but one side, containing the principal front, was taken down when it ceased to be occupied by the noble family of Petre, whose principal seat is now at Thorndon, near Brentwood.
The three sides of the Hall, which now remain, are occupied by several catholic families, and the catholic priest and chapel; and still contain some fine specimens of tapestry, stained glass, old paintings, carvings, etc.
Mr. Coverdale, steward to lord Petre, occupies one of the wings, and attached to his residence, is a beautiful garden; with a terrace walk, one furlong in extent. In the grounds are four large fish ponds. The park, which extended northward to the town, and was nearly encompassed by the small river Wid, and one of its tributary streams, has long been cultivated as a farm, and part of the offices at the stables have been converted into a farm house
.John Disney, Esq., has a large estate here, and a handsome seat called THE HYDE. This large quadrangular mansion is pleasantly situated in a well wooded park, on the north side of the town, commanding beautiful views of the surrounding country. The plantations, and a fine sheet of water, with a suspension bridge, are disposed with great taste.
The house existed in 1590, and was enlarged in 1713, when the present outer walls were erected by Timothy Brand, Esq,. of red and black brick,in the style, which prevailed in the reign of William III.
Thomas Brand, Esq., who died here in 1734, was succeeded by his son, Thomas Brand Hollis, who, in company with Thomas Hollis, Esq., visited Italy (1748 to 1753,) and brought from thence a fine collection of antique busts, statues, vases, etc., now arranged here, in a magnificent room, formed out of five apartments, in 1761. This valuable museum contains some fine specimens from Herculaneum, and has been enriched by its present owner, with a fine collection of Greek vases, etc.
The late Rev. Dr. John Disney, F.S.A., who died at the Hyde, in 1816, was author of the lives of Jortin and Sykes. In the house are several fine paintings, by Rubens, Vandyke, Jeniers, and other old masters.
St Edmund and St. Mary's Church, Ingatestone.
© Copyright Michael Garlick contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Ingatestone Church (Virgin Mary,) is a large structure, in the perpendicular style of the 15th century, with a lofty brick tower, at the west end containing five bells, one of which is cracked.
In the chancel hang several pieces of ancient armour, and the banners used by the "Ingatestone, Brentwood, and Billericay Volunteers," raised by the late Lord Petre, for the defence of the nation, about the close of last century. A brick chapel, on the south side of the chancel, is the mausoleum of the Petre family.
On an elegant altar tomb, are recumbent effigies of William Lord Petre and his lady, wrought in Parian marble, with the greatest skill and judgement. A helmet supports his lordships head, and a pillow his lady's. On a superb marble monument, against the west wall, are effigies of John, Lord Petre, of Writtle, and his Lady, kneeling under an arch, supported by eight pillars - four of black, and four of variagated marble. Below them are kneeling figures of their three daughters and eight sons.
Here are several other neat monuments; and over the communion table is a fine painting of Moses and Aaron.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £16.13s.4d., and in 1831 at £450, with the perpetual curacy of Buttsbury annexed to it, is in the gift of Lord Petre, and incumbency of the Rev. John Lewis.
Here is a Parochial School, supported by subscription; and a neat Independent Chapel built in 1840 at the cost of £700.
The Almshouses, for a priest and ten poor people were founded in 1557, by Sir William Petre, who endowed them with £90.13s.4d. a year, out of Crondon Park, Catlyns. Ramsey Tyrells, and another farm in this neighourhood. In consequence of the site of the old almshouses being wanted by the Railway Company, they were sold in 1840, and Lord Petre has since erected, in lieu of them, 12 a1mshouses on the London road, of red and white brick, in the Elizatbethan style, at the cost of £1,400. The inmates receive each 6s.8d. per month, with 24s. annually for wood, and 12a. for a gown.
In 1776, the Rev. Thomas Ralph left £500 to the Corporation of the Sons of Clergy, on condition that they should pay yearly, £2 each to the parishes of Ingatestone and Rawreth, for the poor. The dividends of £100, three per cent, Consols, left by Rosamond Bonham, in 1804, are applied towards the support of the Sunday School, at Ingatestone and Fryening.
Back to History of Ingatestone
Are your ancestors from Ingatestone? Why not tell us their story: My Ingatestone Ancestors.