History of Horndon-on-the-Hill
High Street, Horndon-on-the-Hill, c.1960
Reproduced courtesy of The Francis Frith Collection.
History of Horndon-on-the-Hill >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
HORNDON-on-the-HILL is a pleasant village on a lofty eminence, 6 miles North of Tilbury Fort, on the Thames; 8 miles South of Billericay, and 11 miles East South East of Romford; and commands extensive views over the vale of the Thames, as far as London and Sheerness, 20 miles either way.
It has a post-office for the surrounding district, and had formerly a market on Saturdays, and two wool fairs in June and July. It has still a small fair for toys and pedlery on June 29th.
Its parish contains 576 souls and 2634 acres of land, descending south and east to the marshes, near Stanford-le-Hop and Corringham.
Most of it was held by Ulurie in the Confessors reign, and by Eustace, Earl of Boulogne, at Domesday Survey. It was afterwards divided into three manors, of which the principal is Arden Hall, formerly held by the Arden, Pooley, and other families, and now belonging to Theobald, Esq.
The manor of Malgreffs, or Malgraves, was held by a family of its own name till 155O, when it was purchased by Sir John Tyrell, but it now belongs to Mrs. Baker.
The other principal landowners are William Baker Wingfield, A.Z. Button, Esq., and Cphr. Montgomery, Esq. Wythfield estate was formerly held by the Bohun, Wright, Vernon, and other families. Thomas Highbred, of Horndon House, was burnt for heresy in 1555, during the reign of Queen Mary
St Peter and St Paul's Church, Horndon-on-the-Hill.
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The Church (St. Peter,) has a nave, north aisle, and chancel, with a stone tower and wooden spire.
It was appropriated to the nuns of Barking Abbey, and was granted at the dissolution to the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, London, who are still appropriator of the rectory, and patrons of the vicarage, valued in K.B. at £14.6s.8d., and in 1831 at £210, and now enjoyed by the Rev. James Trevitt, who has 6½A. of g1ebe, but no parsonage. The tithes were commuted in 1844, and Captain Cox is lessee of the rectory.
The Church Land, about 2A. is let for £9 a year.
A house occupied by paupers, rent free, was given by John Poley in l734, under the name of the Market house.
The poor parishioners have a yearly rent charge of 20s. out of two farms at Mucking, left by E1izabeth Downes.
Here is an Independent Chapel, built in 1835.
Back to History of Horndon-on-the-Hill