History of High Roding
All Saints' Church, High Roding.
© Copyright John Salmon contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of High Roding >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
ROOTHING, (HIGH) or High Roding, a straggling village, on the east side of the vale of the Roding, from 4 to 5 miles South South West of Dunmow, has in its parish 446 inhabitants, and 1803 acres of land. The houses are mostly built of wood, lath, and plaster, and being whitewashed, have a clean and neat appearance.
It was held by Ely Abbey, but the monks were deprived of it by the Conqueror, for giving shelter to their fugitive countrymen. It was given at the Conquest to Wm. de Warren, Earl of Surrey. It afterwards passed to the Blois, Plantaganet, Fitzalan, Boleyn, and Stafford families. It was sold in 1554 by Sir Wm. Stafford, to Thomas Jocelyn, an ancestor of the Earl of Roden, the present lord of the manor; but part of the soil belongs to several copyholders.
New Hall, now a farm-house, was built by one of the Jocelyns, about two centuries ago. It was formerly a large house, with a court and chapel.
The Church (All Saints,) is a small low building, with a wooden turret, containing three bells, and crowned by a spire.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £20., and in 1831 at £431, is in the patronage of the Earl of Roden, and incumbency of the Rev.Jph. Ridgeway, M.A., who has a good modern residence, and 24½ acres of glebe. The tithes were commuted in 1839, for £487 per annum.
In 1616, James Choppin left for the poor a yearly rent-charge of 13s. 4d., out of a small house, which was purchased in 1725, with £12 benefaction money, and is now occupied by paupers. He also left a yearly rent-charge of 6s.8d., out of Rainbow field, now included in Attridge's farm.
The School House, said to have been given by Sir Strange Jocelyn, was sold by the lord of the manor, in 1814, there being no trace of any grant of it on the rolls of the manor. Nothing is now known of it, or of the house which was given to the poor by Henry Drury, in 1614.
Back to History of High Roding