History of Hawkwell
St Mary's Church, Hawkwell.
© Copyright Glyn Baker contributor to the Geograph Project and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
History of Hawkwell >> White's Directory 1848
White's Directory of Essex 1848
HAWKWELL, or Hawkswell, a small scattered village on a flat, 2 miles North West of Rochford, has in its parish 366 inhabitants, and 1333 acres of land, in two manors, viz., Hawkwell Hall, belonging to Robert Bristow, and Clements, belonging to Algernon Holt White, Esq., who formerly resided at Clemants Hall, now occupied by Messrs. William and Charles Francis.
The latter manor was long held by the Clement family, and afterwards, by the families of Rich and Holt. The former was anciently held of the Honor of Rayleigh, by the service of one knight's fee, by the Perot family, and afterwards by the Boteler, Carey, and other families.
Part of the soil belongs to several freeholders. Hawkwell Hall is the pleasant residence of Samuel Baker, Esq.
The Church (Virgin Mary,) is a small ancient building. with a tower and spire, and the benefice is a rectory, valued in K.B. at £13.6s.8d., and in 1839 at £392, and having a large glebe, and a neat modern residence. Robert Bristow, Esq., is patron, and the Rev, P.W. York, is the incumbent.
A handsome National School was built here by subscription, in 1846.
Robert Sudbury in 1615, left £100, to be laid out in land, in trust, to pay yearly 20s. each to Eastwood and Hockley, for the poor, and to distribute the rest of the income among the poor of Hawkwell. The land purchased is 6A., let for £14, exclusive of three cottages with small gardens let to poor families for £9 per annum.
Back to History of Hawkwell